Definitive Car

Thread: Seeking advice, engine start up after 3 years storage.

Users Country Flag

Seeking advice, engine start up after 3 years storage.

As per the title, I am looking for advice on firing up an engine after having sat for three years (engine sat, not me).

What precautions and system would you approach this task with? The car has sat outside for three years, before that it was fully functional. It's a 2003 Ford Courier petrol 4 cyl (sorry not V AG, but long time subscriber to Wolfsberg don't worry).

Should I be doing an oil change/plug change?
    Should I be draining petrol and replacing?
    Should I be cranking it over a few times before firing it up? Best way of going about this?
    Should I be testing anything else before the leap of faith?

Although I have some confidence that it will start simply with the use of a jump pack (such as it needed to do during the 2011 floods to swiftly move from its ever emerging location, it survived and remained dry).

Would really appreciate any advice from people who have done this, I have been part of a similar process before, but we relied heavily on the turn and hope approach.

Users Country Flag
    Depends on where it is situated If close to the sea could even have rust in the bores and the petrol will be useless after that time, probably turned into varnish by now. I would do the first three things you mention
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for your input.
    The car has been outside, but well away from the sea. I've read some people recommending just the turn and hope approach over anything else, saying the wear will be minimal compared to the risks of drawing unburnt fuel through the system by turning it over. The Internet is full of theories I just want to minimise my chances of locking the engine up for good.

Users Country Flag
    I'd squirt some wd40 in the plug holes and turn it over by hand a few times. If you can't get on the crank pulley, stick in gear and rock it. I am assuming that it is manual.

One thing to be very wary of on any manual that's sat unused is the clutch. You can push on the pedal but the plate may have stuck on the flywheel. So you cannot disengage the drive. ENsure it's in neutral, which you should always do anyway, but pointing out the obvious is worthwhile.

I'd definitely relegate the fuel to lawn mower division. If it's under 1/4 tank, maybe just stick a 20 litre can in and then fill up as soon as you can at the servo.

Gavin

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for the feedback, I think I have a decent plan now. WD-40 purchased etc. Correct, it is manual so will give it a good rocking, I have a suspicion that the clutch may need some attention, but will attempt to fire it up and blow the cob webs off first. Then round 2 with the old W126 Merc. Cross your fingers and legs for me please.

Users Country Flag

Do whatever needs doing to stop it firing (fuse, rotor if it has one) and turn the engine over to get the oil distributed.

Then start it. Drive it until it's hot (say 30m) and then do an oil / filter change.

The fuel will be sad and the engine will run rough. Pour a litre of metho in the tank but try & run it low before adding more fuel.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums