Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SD card error

Users Country Flag

SD card error

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't find anything using the search engine. I can't get multiple SD cards to work on my 2009 Passat and 2014 Amarok. I'm formatting using a MAC and am choosing MSDOS (FAT). I don't think that's FAT32 however? And I'm thinking it has to be? Also I did read somewhere there's a size limitation with some models of stereo i.e they can't read SD cards bigger than 4GB? All my cards are 32GB+TIA

Could be the card size I have had similar problems as well admits here my stereo is aftermarket but it will only take cards up to 32 gb only any thing bigger will not work .

Users Country Flag
    My Jetta couldn't take more than 8gb, but my 2015 Tiggy takes 32gb....all my music is MP3.
    Current - 2015 Tiguan 155 R-Line.
    Previous - Jetta MkV 147 Turbo, Viezu Raceday mapped, Carbonio CAI, Quad Exhaust System, R8 Coil pack, Whiteline Swaybar, GTi Steering wheel with paddles, Alloy pedals, RNS510 & Leather.

Users Country Flag
    Need to update otherwise much old can be corrupted.

Users Country Flag
    FAT is your file allocation table. FAT32 (32 bit operating system) is limited to reading just under 4GB, that's why PCs are now 64 bit (but doesn't use FAT). When you format a disk you overwrite the table and, unless you do a full format, the other data remains on the disk, but because you've overwritten the table you've lost the address of the data and it can't be retrieved by normal file access protocols.

I'm not sure what file system is used by VW (I don't have the car at work so I can't check the owners manual) but I think part of the problem is formatting to FAT. Try FAT32 or similar if you can.
    2015 Jetta Highline
    2017 Ducati Supersport S

Users Country Flag
    OK, I checked the owner's manual last night. You need to format FAT16 for cards under 2GB and FAT32 for cards over.

HTH
    2015 Jetta Highline
    2017 Ducati Supersport S

Users Country Flag
    I have an 32gb SD card in my RNS510 and its formatted as Fat32. Havent ever seen a 2gb card

Can also format cards over 32gb with this program guiformat-x64. I do this to fool my Blackvue cameras and run 128gb cards in cameras that are only supposed to use 32gb cards.

I can confirm a RNS 510 WONT read cards bigger than 32gb as Ive just tried a 64 and a 128 and it wont read them even though formatted in Fat32
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    ...Havent ever seen a 2gb card ...
    You need to get out more...
    2015 Jetta Highline
    2017 Ducati Supersport S

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I've got a ton of SD cards none of them work, but found an old 1GB card and that worked. I'm thinking it's related to the size. Have tried formatting the larger cards with Fat16, 32 etc

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by theresanothersteve View Post
    You need to get out more...
    Having a brain fade as even though i havent got a 2Gb card ive found some 256Mb ones and even smaller than that. Chucked them all in the bin.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast