Definitive Car

Thread: Repairing engine cooling system

Users Country Flag

Repairing engine cooling system

Some time ago a service person broke the plastic nub that is part of the coolant bottle return hose attachment.
    Only realised the car was low on coolant when the heating wasn't working. Checked coolant levels. Nothing in the tank. It was a slow leak.

Tried to clamp the hose closer to the non-broken part and super glue...worth a shot I thought.
    well, the glue didn't hold on the first test driving around for a few minutes, did manage to hold together just sitting there idling.

How can I repair this on the cheap for someone? It's just a boring Holden Barina so nothing special. Just need it up and running.
    Last edited by stefcio007; 04-07-2017 at 10:41 PM.
    Past - '95 VW Golf MK3 VR6
    Present - '11 Ford Focus LW Diesel (PSA DW10C)

Users Country Flag
    How old is the car?

If it's a relatively new Barina, there's a revised expansion bottle with a steel insert in the outlet to prevent it breaking off.

If it's an older one, you should be able to get an aftermarket expansion bottle off eBay for not much.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    It's a 2012 TM. Where can I get this? It would be a life saver.

Users Country Flag
    Holden would be your best bet.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Hmm, so I don't think apartment management would let me change over a coolant bottle in the car park. Also, I have no experience in doing so.
    Used Selleys Seal Fix which can be used for automotive gaskets and can withstand temps of up to 205 degrees. Last glue was actually only rated to about 60 degrees...

I made a triangular cable tie setup (yes, don't laugh), that would securely hold the hose against what's left of the nub. First test held up pretty well, but started a small leak. I realised I didn't put enough sealant in the tight spot at the bottom. Decided to not use the plastic tube this time to dispense the sealant. Got a good amount of it around and double checked there's nothing I could have missed.

Going to take it for another test after it all sets but it's looking promising. Here's hoping.

Update: Still getting small leaks so ditched the sealant idea.
    Realised that I only secured the top of the host against the inlet.
    Decided to remove all the glue and secure it against the bottle on the top and bottom of the hose using the clamp as a way to attach my cable ties.

Well, it worked. Probably should get better cable ties or something more proper but at least now I can drive it to a garage.