Definitive Car

Thread: Renew Key Battery

Users Country Flag

Renew Key Battery

Has anyone had any joy in clearing this message?

Our Multivan has had this message for a while now so I've pulled out and replace both batteries with new Sony units and taken them both out to the car, unlocked, inserted and turned the key, removed then locked... multiple times each. But I'm still getting that bloody warning that I need to replace the battery.

Is there something I am missing here?

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Might be the batteries - I've had to replace both mine (2013 Golf TDI.)

One (which I changed myself) works like a charm, the other (replaced by the local garage 15 months ago, and for which they charged $10) still shows the replace signal intermittently.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I've changed them both, twice.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag
    It’s odd behaviour for sure. Had to do one of the remotes for my wife’s car (so did both of course) and the message disappeared immediately. You certain the batteries you used were fresh?
    Cheers

Whilst it's a good idea to use fresh batteries, most good quality coin cells nowadays have a shelf life approaching a decade, and it's a simple matter to test them.

A new, fresh CR2023 (which is also the one used in most computers) will normally indicate slightly above its rated voltage and should continue to work normally down to about 70% - so even if the supplier (your local service station?) has had it on the shelf for several years it should still be OK.

Some key fobs will also accept CR2032 cells, which have greater capacity and cost about the same (mine won't - can't get the cover to snap back on.)

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    The last replacement was an old battery I'd had for years, I've since got new ones (expiring 2027) and replaced both. I didn't pull the multimeter out to test them, but that's easy enough.

Users Country Flag

Just a silly question. Did you erase the fault codes with VCDS or similar?