Definitive Car

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pity the Europeans can,t see the follly of their ways .

Pity the Europeans can,t see the follly of their ways .

One of the best responses I have seen in years pity other car makers don,t follow his direction .
    Hyundai: Luxury brands focus on "stupid" tech

Users Country Flag
    I don't necessarily disagree but maybe he, and Hyundai, should heed his own advice. From the first drive review - "The engine noise has been digitised and is pumped through the speakers, and even though it may be artificial it’s still a nice noise.". Pointless tech. Some of the tech, such as the camera, is necessary for some of the safety systems incorporated into new cars.
    Indium Grey Golf 7.5 Alltrack 135tdi Premium - all options

Hehe, he might think air suspension is stupid, but I would disagree.... air suspension is wonderful - for me.

Its all horses for courses. When your buying a luxury sedan, you're "needs" arent really "needs" at all. They are "wants". Hence why the cars he is talking about are full of so called useless stuff, tested on racetracks. When you can afford to buy a 2+ tonne luxury sedan, do you even care if it is unreliable? Probably not.

If you have saved your pennies to buy a $25-30k Hyundai do you really care if its realiable? Ofcourse you do.

I think he's really making a mute point.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Without starting WW 111 I think some are missing the point , many of the things we are seeing in cars today are not worth having or cannot be trusted or were badly conceived . If we want to enjoy driving cars we should avoid all this stuff as car makers are pushing us towards autonomous cars , now where is the fun in that , plus from an old guy I like to think the reason I got my license in the first place was that i was taught how to use my eyes and my brain and my common sense while driving . I was taught how to reverse park , now days too many people are buying a car with all this stuff just because it saves them from using their brain .

Users Country Flag
    EFI was once called useless tech and was unreliable compared to carby's . Times change ....
    Bug_racer supports the rebellion of the euro revolution

Ever tried to fix an EFI at the side of the road ? like lots of clever technology DMF DPF EGR MAF DSG they will leave you stranded . Ok time marches on and we must move with the times , but maybe just maybe car makers are going too far ? This is what I would suggest is his rational . Quote "“If the tech will fail, you’re just adding the burden to the buyer, right?”
    Biermann explained the Korean brand has focused on simple technology for its Genesis models in order to create long-term reliable vehicles. He says Hyundai chairman, Chung Mong-koo, wants all Hyundai and Genesis models to be “like new” after 10 years on the road. "end Quote .Try telling that to the Germans when your auto goes out to lunch after only 120000km because of stupid technology , or your DPF clogs up after only a few thousand km , or your DMF fails because they coupled it to a tiny engine fitted to a commercial van designed to carry 1 ton on top of its nearly 2 ton kerb weight .
    Last edited by Sunny43.5; 21-09-2017 at 11:53 AM.

Users Country Flag
    DMF has nothing to do with EFI
    DPF is only on diesel cars
    EGR is as common on Carby cars as what it is on efi cars
    MAFs are pretty reliable these days and Ive noticed a trend to no longer run a MAF instead to run a MAP
    DSG is a gearbox .

Essentially I have similar arguments with people in regards to my Golf R and its ability to run low 11 second 1/4s and be driven 12+ hours to venues at times . How many early model cars without engine/gearbox transplants are able to do that , and still manage to use 9.5l per 100kms ?
    Bug_racer supports the rebellion of the euro revolution

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny43.5 View Post
    Ever tried to fix an EFI at the side of the road ? like lots of clever technology DMF DPF EGR MAF DSG they will leave you stranded . Ok time marches on and we must move with the times , but maybe just maybe car makers are going too far ? This is what I would suggest is his rational . Quote "“If the tech will fail, you’re just adding the burden to the buyer, right?”
    Biermann explained the Korean brand has focused on simple technology for its Genesis models in order to create long-term reliable vehicles. He says Hyundai chairman, Chung Mong-koo, wants all Hyundai and Genesis models to be “like new” after 10 years on the road. "end Quote .Try telling that to the Germans when your auto goes out to lunch after only 120000km because of stupid technology , or your DPF clogs up after only a few thousand km , or your DMF fails because they coupled it to a tiny engine fitted to a commercial van designed to carry 1 ton on top of its nearly 2 ton kerb weight .
    I dont really get it. My last 3 cars have been luxury german vehicles - 2 allroads and a Touareg.

The Touareg is 10 years old. Everything works, its basically like new. OK its got body wear and tear as you would expect, but nothing has failed. Its got all the bells and whistles.

The C6 allroad was 9 years old. Same story.

The c5 allroad had a few expensive problems.... it also had a lot more km on it, and it was a bit older. You might be interested to note that Hyundai Genesis models used the same ZF 5hp19 and now 6hp19 transmission as in the allroads...

Who can predict what will be failing on luxury german cars 10 years from now? Not me. But my 10 year old Touaregs DPF's are not clogged.

You are sighting expamples which are not within the luxury market being discussed in the article...
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag
    People forget how crap cars were. I can't believe how reliable and well built they are these days.

I was a qualified motor mechanic from 1979-1989.
    Lets see...
    oil changes every 3000km / 3months - at least you got to know your customers really well - I even dated a few
    spark plugs every 10,000km (leaded fuel)
    Points every 10,000km
    Air and fuel filters (if fitted) every 20,000km
    Mechanical EFI systems were a nightmare (esp Kugelfucher or whatever it was) but so were twin carbs and SU/Solex and webbers.
    Not to mention all the other stuff (uni joints, ball joints, tie rod ends that needed greasing and still wore out before 100,000km.

A car was considered old and worn out at 160,000km.

And they were gutless!

My 4.2L VB Commodore was <90kw
    My 5.9L Chrysler 2BBL was around120kw about the same as my current 1.8tsi Octavia. The Chrysler averaged 14mpg (20L/100km) if I took it easy. 6mpg (47L/100km) if I gave it some stick.

Plus all the safety stuff on modern cars like ABS and stability control.

I know there's some useless tech on modern cars but I'd hate to go back to an older car as a daily.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

[QUOTE You are sighting examples which are not within the luxury market being discussed in the article...[/QUOTE] So from your experience it seems if you buy luxury high priced cars then those issues are not applicable , just remeber those same manufactureres make other models that are probably bought more commonly by the wider population . It is well known that the luxury models are equipped with lots of tech stuff and it does filter down into the lower priced models over time , GPS was the norm in high end models now its common in much lesser ones . So the same ideaology the Koreans are highlighting does apply to lower models , I suppose its easy to forget that Golf owners were saddled with some disastorous examples of smart technology and those cars have luxury models within the range . I love this bit I borrowed from the comments in the article from a writer {Thanks MR Majestyk }

Quote " The level of stupid tech in Euro's make them nothing more than very expensive mobile living rooms. Pack in as much tech as you can for the sake of bragging rights and keep quiet about the rapier costs when it all fails. Interior, seats, brakes engine handling steering are what really matters. I only want the tech that improves the real driving experience, not crap like heated vanity mirrors, 47 speaker sound system, autonomous braking, blah blah. It's no wonder they are pushing autonomous driving, already they want you think as little as possible and let the car do as much as possible. "

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast