Definitive Car

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parking Fine query - for the brains trust

Parking Fine query - for the brains trust

What's the go with parking fines, should they be left on the vehicle or just posted to you after the fact?

Reason I ask is I got a fine posted to me in the mail from Lane cove council for a no stopping within 10m of an intersection, I'm prepping myself to contest it but I've been thrown a nice back stabbing curveball.

I've been parking in the street adjacent to a jobsite which is well signposted and no issue as I park within the allowed spots. another construction job has started nearby and meant parking is now at a premium. So I parked in the exact same position I've been parking but in the street that runs parallel (basically other end of the block.

Blissfully unaware I'm breaking the rules (as all the streets are signposted the same, I get a fine in the mail (not on the car) telling me - no stopping 10m of intersection - $242

So I check the streets around, every street has a sign except this one (a deadend street) so you can park as close as 1m with a sign there, but in this one 10m back from the corner as the sign is missing.

I decide yep no probs, clearly I've done the wrong thing but then I get a reminder notice..... Not for this fine but another one from 2 days prior to what I thought for the exact same thing.

If I'd have known about the first 'offence' I wouldn't have parked there again. But by sending the fine in the mail, I'm left unaware I've done anything wrong.

What should I do to try and contest it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bueller?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    No chance you'll be able to contest it.

From Parking - Road rules - Safety & rules - Roads - Roads and Maritime Services

Within 10m of an intersecting road at an intersection without traffic lights unless a sign allows you to park there (see image)

That's for NSW, but most/all other states are the same.

You might get very very lucky if you call them and ask for photo evidence. If they don't have evidence, they won't be able to prove the offence took place. But I'm guessing the picture you posted is from the council, in which case you have to pay the fine.

There also isn't a requirement for councils to place a ticket on your vehicle, and they can post it in the mail. Try calling them up and pleading ignorance. You might get a sympathetic person who will cancel ONE of your fines.

Users Country Flag
    what a bunch of arseholes, doing your job providing for your family,working to pay taxes,bet you the officer has no glue to how hard it is to carry tools to a job parked blocks away......has your parking caused an accident or even a possible accident......these ****heads need to take a trip overseas go to Italy and see how it really does work.......when parking is a premium. I hate money grabbing councils,bet they also got a big slice of hard earned dollars from all the developers/ land owners who commissioned the work too.

Even if they don't have photo evidence you will not be able to contest it... their word is ranked higher than yours in court.. same as Police. you need to provide the evidence that either you were not there, or you were parked legally. I would pay the fine.
    1974 1300 Beetle, 1997 Golf GL, 2003 New Beetle Cabrio, 2014 Audi A4 quattro

Users Country Flag
    Councils usually post the fines these days as too many people threw them on the ground and claimed they didn't get them.

They will have photos.

I assume the street running perpendicular is empty for a reason? What a bugger - it's really frustrating trying to find parking when you are trying to get a job done. I used to knock back a lot of jobs in the city because there was nowhere to park the vehicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by geeang View Post
    There also isn't a requirement for councils to place a ticket on your vehicle, and they can post it in the mail. Try calling them up and pleading ignorance. You might get a sympathetic person who will cancel ONE of your fines.
    ^^^^ This!

As a fine is supposed to be a form of education as well as punishment, you might get lucky. OTOH, all the council fines are passed directly to the Office of State Revenue & generally council can do nothing once they have issued the fine. It's a great system that is designed to stop you from trying to contest the issue.

VolksMuller, while I can see your point, I'mm sure you'd be complaining if a semi went round the corner & tail-dragged & put the back wheels over your vehicle that was parked too close to the corner or if you were trying to pull out of the intersection and couldn't see properly up the street and had an accident.

I know it was a huge inconvenience when I was selling tyres & the drunks from the club next door would block our driveways on a Saturday morning.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Councils usually post the fines these days as too many people threw them on the ground and claimed they didn't get them.

They will have photos.

I assume the street running perpendicular is empty for a reason? What a bugger - it's really frustrating trying to find parking when you are trying to get a job done. I used to knock back a lot of jobs in the city because there was nowhere to park the vehicle.

^^^^ This!

As a fine is supposed to be a form of education as well as punishment, you might get lucky. OTOH, all the council fines are passed directly to the Office of State Revenue & generally council can do nothing once they have issued the fine. It's a great system that is designed to stop you from trying to contest the issue.

VolksMuller, while I can see your point, I'mm sure you'd be complaining if a semi went round the corner & tail-dragged & put the back wheels over your vehicle that was parked too close to the corner or if you were trying to pull out of the intersection and couldn't see properly up the street and had an accident.

I know it was a huge inconvenience when I was selling tyres & the drunks from the club next door would block our driveways on a Saturday morning.
    It's a dead end street, ends about 60m in front of where I'm parked. On the street parallel to this one the sign is 3m from the kerb (about halfway along the length of my van)

I've already paid one fine, gonna call them and see if I can get out of the second one.

Users Country Flag
    Mate, I'm not having a go. I probably would have parked the same way under the circumstances
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Mate, I'm not having a go. I probably would have parked the same way under the circumstances
    No offence taken, just explaining why I parked there.

Users Country Flag

I used to have to do the same thing when working on sites, my reasoning is that I am loading and unloading the car as well as having to go back and forth for parts, I can't be parked up the road carting tools back and forth.

Maybe you can write to the council and explain something like that? Mention that there is insufficient parking in the area and due to the nature of your work you can not be parked too far from your van as you need it for work. Might work, might not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast