Definitive Car

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Newest Air Bag Recall

Users Country Flag

Is your car a Ticking time bomb ?

The ACCC announced certain models from the following brands - which have Takata airbags made in Germany - are being added to the recall campaign once more information becomes available:
    •Audi
    •Volkswagen
    •Skoda
    •Ford
    •Holden
    •Tesla
    •Jaguar
    •Land Rover
    The list of exact models is yet to be released by the manufacturers.

WHAT’S THE PROBLEM?
    • High levels of moisture penetrating the airbag can alight the propelling mechanism too quickly, causing metal fragments to explode outwards. There has been one death and one case of serious injury in Australia as a result of the faulty deployment of the airbags.
    • Worldwide, there have been at least 23 deaths and more than 230 serious injuries reported associated with the airbags.
    • Takata airbags are an immediate and critical safety risk with people advised not to drive cars containing them.
    • Other high-risk airbags will be determined by three factors: age, the location of the vehicle (in areas of high heat or humidity), and the location of the airbag in the vehicle.
    WHO PAYS?
    • Vehicle manufacturers will be required to cover the full cost of replacement.
    WHO WILL BE IMPACTED?
    • The compulsory recall will capture about 2.3 million vehicles that still have a defective airbag that needs replacement.
    • The order affects vehicles made by Ford, GM Holden, Mercedes Benz, Tesla, Jaguar, Land Rover, Volkswagen, Audi, Skoda, BMW, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Ferrari, GMC, Honda, Jeep, Lexus, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Subaru, Toyota, Volvo and Hino Trucks.
    Last edited by ian; 28-02-2018 at 04:27 PM.

Wow...how can we tell if one is installed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Gee I thought VW stood for Volkswagen ?
    This list was just released today ,

Users Country Flag
    According to CarSales.com.au, this list is from the ACCC
    Volkswagen Golf (35,817 cars) 2009-2013
    Volkswagen Golf Cabrio (2,256 cars) 2012-2015
    Volkswagen Passat (17,741 cars) 2011-2015
    Volkswagen Passat (2,509 cars) 2010
    Volkswagen Polo (5730 cars) 2010-2014
    Volkswagen Polo (3952 cars) 2007-2009
    Volkswagen CC (4461 cars) 2009-2016
    Volkswagen Eos (3112 cars) 2010-2014
    Volkswagen Up (2296 cars)

So there you go.
    2009 118 TSI
    1980 Bedford van
    2015 Hyundai i30 SR

Users Country Flag
    I'd wait to confirm actual information before jumping the gun.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    I’ve just been digging around and hadn’t found any official information. Often VW was only listed in the title and not in the articles...

Interesting to see that list. I suppose we just wait and see what they say. Theoretically the swap over could be a drive through service which would be nice for those who service elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag
    Maybe that airbag manufacturer once in the past supplied VW and some smart journalist just copied generic information from their website.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Hawk View Post
    I’ve just been digging around and hadn’t found any official information. Often VW was only listed in the title and not in the articles...

Interesting to see that list. I suppose we just wait and see what they say. Theoretically the swap over could be a drive through service which would be nice for those who service elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It'll be like any campaign. Parts ordered and allocated to the vehicle, an appointment made, and probably somewhere in the vicinity of a 2-3hr turn around between handing the keys over, and getting them back. You won't be able to just turn up on a whim, and have it rectified immediately.

Having been involved with another car brand's recalls in the past, on some of their models, physically swapping the airbag over was the quick and easy part.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    Maybe that airbag manufacturer once in the past supplied VW and some smart journalist just copied generic information from their website.
    I don't recall ever seeing a Takata airbag in a VW, but that's not to say I was taking much notice.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast