Thread: My crazy theory about VAG group cars and the ideal cruising speed.

My crazy theory about VAG group cars and the ideal cruising speed.

OK - I'll preface this by saying that in some ways, I definitely display OCD.

With that out of the way....

Most vag group cars have a symmetrical (and quite pleasing to me) dash instrument layout. Its one of the things I love about vag group cars.

Anyway, my theory goes that the car (whatever it is) always seems to feel just right when you are cruising along with the tach and speedo needles being mirro images of eachother (and yes, in top gear ).

Its almost certainly just me, but then try it sometime..... its good!

PS - its even better if you have exactly 1/2 tank of fuel.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag
    No, you're not crazy.

Steve's rule of gauges is "If in doubt the optimum operating point is at 12 o'clock". Of course some gauges are 90 degree oriented ao then its 9 or 3 o'clock, but you get my drift. The middle of the scale is usually where the thing being monitored is working most efficiently. It's something (I think) to do with designers catering for the way we receive information.

Then there is the one where you should line up your valve stems to manitain conformity around the car .

Users Country Flag
    In some cars the temp gauge proper temp is 12 o'clock or 6' o'clock. Reason being as you stated it looks nice so if something is wrong, too cold/hot you will notice is straight away as it's not visually appealing anymore.
    That's of course if you're manufacturer is kind enough to give you a temp gauge in the first place *cough* Holden *cough*.
    Past - '95 VW Golf MK3 VR6
    Present - '11 Ford Focus LW Diesel (PSA DW10C)

Quote Originally Posted by stefcio007 View Post
    In some cars the temp gauge proper temp is 12 o'clock or 6' o'clock. Reason being as you stated it looks nice so if something is wrong, too cold/hot you will notice is straight away as it's not visually appealing anymore.
    That's of course if you're manufacturer is kind enough to give you a temp gauge in the first place *cough* Holden *cough*.
    Hey VW are also guilty of deleting a temp gauge in favour of a warning ding or a light on the dash , 2010 onwards VW transporters which are primarily a work horse dont have one any more . Not much good if the temp starts to climb and you suspect something could be amiss but you have to wait for the warning .

Count ourselves lucky Lots of cars don't have liner temp gauges either
    To prevent "owner anxiety" they set normal operating temp range at about 1/3... looks nice and cool, then if it goes over it shoots up, so 0-70 is cold, 70-75 may move to 1/4, 75 to 100 goes to 1/3 104 is 1/2, the 105 goes straight to the max
    Of course that also has the effect of owner panic, if the temp is 105.1... but the cynic will say the OEM does that so they can say you didn't stop despite the warnings

Users Country Flag

I know why, there was market research done and a lot of drivers said they only wanted to know if a car was ok or not instead of having all these gauges that they didn't know the meaning of anyway.
    Things drivers wanted; how fast they are going, how many kms they can do until the tank runs out.

That's it, get ready for cars to be dumbed down and having one light that lights up for every issue so that you need to go to the dealer to get it looked at...wait a minute, isn't that the check engine light?

Let's enjoy our cars while we still can, they'll probably be a service soon.
    Past - '95 VW Golf MK3 VR6
    Present - '11 Ford Focus LW Diesel (PSA DW10C)