Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you done a track day and was it worth it?

Users Country Flag

Have you done a track day and was it worth it?

Looking at doing a track day soon after completing a defensive driver course. I was wondering what i'm likely to get out of it. ei a new appreciation for my car ( 02 4mo Bora) or if its not worth spending the dollars. The track day i'm looking at is with John Bowe Driving with a fair bit of instruction.
    Thanks in advance
    Josh

I have done a few track days before and always wanted to do some track time with a professional. Im sure they would point out a few things i am doing wrong or could improve on.

If i was you i would do some track days first then get some professional advice once you have a bit of experience under your belt
    MODS- TOO MANY

Users Country Flag
    The most fun you can have with your clothes on...Eastern creek tomorrow

Check out the ARDC website - if you join you get all manner of discounts including 50% off your first two track days (at participating circuits) so membership pays for itself
    MY18 Golf 7.5R - Ecotune Stage 1
    Mazda RX2 - 13B Bridgeport GTX4202R

Users Country Flag
    track time with an experienced observer / instructor in the passenger seat is really good. very helpful with braking, turn-in points etc.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    best thing you can do to explore your car's limits in a safe and closed environment.

track, motorkhana, drag strip

public roads

it is also awesome that you are starting one with an instructor.

explore it gradually and know your skills and car's limits. it is not uncommon for a starter to write off his car on the 1st or 2nd lap once on his own... even someone with an instructor spun a scirocco r once!

when you are off the circuit, make sure you don't continue. it is also not uncommon to see v8 falcodore to continue their burnout outside the circuit area
    Last edited by nat225; 30-03-2015 at 08:19 AM.

You won't get a new appreciation for your car sorry.
    But track days are the best legal fun you can do with a car and this day and age its still relatively cheap here in Tassie.Join a car club and get a basic CAMS licence and rock up to Supersprint days you will go home with a big smile on your face but will want to sell the Bora.
    An instructor will teach you more in a day that some track goers still don't know after years at it.What part of Tassie are you.
    Good luck with it.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I'll get a cams licence then! I'm looking at selling my Bora in a few months anyway so thats good hah. I'm 40km south of Hobart so live down near all the best Targa Roads I'd be doing the track day to improve driving skills.

Google Hobart Sporting Car Club,good bunch of people.I have run VWs on the track before but there are better and cheaper options.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks, I'll have a look. What are you running at the moment? do you compete?

A track oriented driver training course is the best place to start. You'll learn the right techniques from the start in a much more controlled environment. Plus it'll be less taxing on your car and yourself as you're there to learn, not race anyone or obtain a lap time. And by learning it first, you'll find you're less likely to over drive your car (less wear and tear), safer and quicker lap times will follow.
    Track Car: 06 Polo GTI Red Devil mkII
    Daily: 2010 VW Jetta Highline
    Gone but not forgotten: 08 Polo GTI
    ** All information I provide is probably incorrect until validated by someone else **

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast