Definitive Car

Thread: Golf R MK6 / MK7 or CLA45?

Users Country Flag

Golf R MK6 / MK7 or CLA45?

Hi guys, I know I知 asking in a VW thread so answers could be a bit bias Golf R MK6 / MK7 or CLA45? however I知 looking at upgrading my 118 TSI MK6 to either a golf R MK6 or MK7 or an alternate of the Mercedes CLA45.

I am quite a big fan of the CLA45 as it is completely different the VW I drive currently. It obviously is the more expensive/ powerful car but I致e heard it has expensive parts/servicing and also insurance (especially since I am under 25).

I was wondering if anyone could give me any feedback on either car especially if you have gone through a similar thought process. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Good news is that you couldn't possibly go backwards from a 118TSI. Without a doubt the 118TSI is the worst VW in modern times (possibly all time) in terms of engine/DSG reliability.

If the budget allows it, the Mk7 R is a better car all round than the Mk6 R (I used to own a Mk6 R, good car but the Mk7 is better - better chassis, better engine, better tech, looks better etc). The MK6 is starting to look old now whereas the Mk7 still looks current. And if you are interested in modifying the car for more power, the Mk7 is once again a much better platform with around +70kw and 120nm or so available from a basic stage 1 tune.

So between the Mk7 R and CLA45, similar-ish performance, but the CLA is fancier inside (nice dash etc) and will no doubt impress your mates etc more (badge cred), but they just look like they have been melted (understandably everyone has different opinions on how things look) especially at the back with the curved roofline and boot. Also if you need to use the rear seat on a regular basis, make sure you check that with the Merc because that sloping roofline will ruin rear passenger headroom. Reminds me of the Ford Taurus in the late 90's. Too me the A45 hatch is a nicer look, but I still prefer the Mk7 Golf shape overall - classy, understated but subtly aggressive. The LED taillights etc also look great on the Mk7 R.

In the end if the budget does not allow for the Mk7 or the Merc, the Mk6 R is still a great car and will be a nice upgrade from the 118TSI. The Mk6 R is a tough reliable engine, has a good amount of power, great grip with the Haldex AWD system. Try to get a MY12 onwards one which had Bluetooth as standard as well as the LED number plate lights.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 03-06-2020 at 02:28 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Good news is that you couldn't possibly go backwards from a 118TSI. Without a doubt the 118TSI is the worst VW in modern times (possibly all time) in terms of engine/DSG reliability.

If the budget allows it, the Mk7 R is a better car all round than the Mk6 R (I used to own a Mk6 R, good car but the Mk7 is better - better chassis, better engine, better tech, looks better etc). The MK6 is starting to look old now whereas the Mk7 still looks current. And if you are interested in modifying the car for more power, the Mk7 is once again a much better platform with around +70kw and 120nm or so available from a basic stage 1 tune.

So between the Mk7 R and CLA45, similar-ish performance, but the CLA is fancier inside (nice dash etc) and will no doubt impress your mates etc more (badge cred), but they just look like they have been melted (understandably everyone has different opinions on how things look) especially at the back with the curved roofline and boot. Also if you need to use the rear seat on a regular basis, make sure you check that with the Merc because that sloping roofline will ruin rear passenger headroom. Reminds me of the Ford Taurus in the late 90's. Too me the A45 hatch is a nicer look, but I still prefer the Mk7 Golf shape overall - classy, understated but subtly aggressive. The LED taillights etc also look great on the Mk7 R.

In the end if the budget does not allow for the Mk7 or the Merc, the Mk6 R is still a great car and will be a nice upgrade from the 118TSI. The Mk6 R is a tough reliable engine, has a good amount of power, great grip with the Haldex AWD system. Try to get a MY12 onwards one which had Bluetooth as standard as well as the LED number plate lights.
    Thanks for the help Lucas, I値l definitely take your points on board! I love the MK6R although due to the older age and currently owning a car that looks similar inside and out. I was bit hesitant on getting one. I was leaning more towards the CLA however turned off by the potential maintenance and on going costs.

I really like MK7 to so that could be the one for me . Thanks again for your help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk