Definitive Car

Thread: The EPA in the US is looking at race cars!

Users Country Flag

The EPA in the US is looking at race cars!

Yep, that's right, race cars are in the EPA's sights now:

Is the EPA Trying to Ban You From Building Race Cars? - GM Inside News

Users Country Flag
    While you can kind of see where they are coming from, I mean, if you're going to be serious about air pollution then why not cover all cars?, the motorsport industry undoubtedly has a lot of money so you can bet they will be opposing this with everything they have.
    Can we get comparison data to see for example how much more do F1 cars pollute vs say a street legal car of similar engine size?
    Past - '95 VW Golf MK3 VR6
    Present - '11 Ford Focus LW Diesel (PSA DW10C)

Users Country Flag
    I'd say it's more about the aftermarket industry.

Think about all those parts that are sold as "not for high way use, off road only".

Everyone knows they end up on street cars regardless and increase the vehicles emissions.

It closes a loop hole that allows those parts to be sold at all.

SEMA will be up in arms as it's members stand to lose millions.

The restriction on converting road cars will be fought by many different groups, it'll be interesting to see what happens.

The emphasis here has been on using racecars to promote renewable energy sources, the V8 super cars all run e85 now. It would make more sense to mandate emissions levels and fuel sources.
    79 MK1 Golf Wreck to Race / 79 MK1 Golf The Red Thread / 76 MK1 Golf Kamei Race Car
    7? MK1 Caddy
    79 B1 Passat Dasher Project
    12 Amarok

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Jones View Post
    I'd say it's more about the aftermarket industry.

Think about all those parts that are sold as "not for high way use, off road only".

That's my take on it as well.

I can see them mandating testing and compliance on all after market products. Ostensibly making competition compliant but also affecting SEMA's members. Will drive bolt on performance underground, or rely on products bought on the grey market from countries without similar legislation.

No doubt the Australian regulators (and lobby groups) will look on with interest.