Definitive Car

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DSLR's

Users Country Flag

Alright thanks people. The lack of IS on the lens has me a bit worried. I think I'll invest a bit more for the IS model, although it does seem quite a bit more pricey compared to the non-IS.

I'll see if I can borrow mum's Canon EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS USM and see what it's like with IS turned off to get a bit of an impression of what the 70-200 is like without IS. Although she still hasn't allowed me to touch it

I see that a few of you guys have bought second hand before. So what about this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Canon-EF-...44795564923666
    As a uni-student every bit counts, and so long as it doesn't have damage (it doesn't look like it) then I am happy buying second hand.

Cookie, enjoy the DSLR man You will love it. A 450D is a great camera to enter the DSLR world with.
    Last edited by THE_EGG; 09-08-2012 at 11:23 AM.
    TRADED THE BEE'12 Sport Yellow/Black Citroen DS3 DSport THP155(155cv/153bhp) 6-spd manual w/ tech pack.

'18 BMW 125i M-Sport | Sunset Orange | Sunroof | ZF 8-spd auto

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
    Canon only sells the 1D-x these days, and that is full-frame (as is the 5D MkI - MkIII; the 7D is a 1.6 crop). In previous generations, the 1Ds was full-frame and the 1D was a 1.3 crop.
    Ahhhh, gotcha!

Quote Originally Posted by THE_EGG View Post
    Alright thanks people. The lack of IS on the lens has me a bit worried. I think I'll invest a bit more for the IS model, although it does seem quite a bit more pricey compared to the non-IS.

I'll see if I can borrow mum's Canon EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS USM and see what it's like with IS turned off to get a bit of an impression of what the 70-200 is like without IS.
    Your biggest issue with the lens is weight. It's not a heavy lens per se, but when attached to an extremely compact body like those of the Canon consumer range (xx0D, xx00D), the lens tends to be the balancing point and it's all too easy to get movement. Without IS turned on, I was seeing disappointing blur softness as fast as 1/100 when hand-holding. Admittedly my hands aren't the steadiest.
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG

Users Country Flag

Egg man, if you are looking at second hand, that is fine.
    make sure of a couple of things - physical condition - you don't want scratches, knocks , bumps etc - if it has been treated rough, then that may hide other pricier issues. A camera is a delicate instrument - it needs to be taken care of to function its best.
    The other is frame count - how many photos has it taken. image sensors have a life like everything else, and if it has taken a bazillion pics, then quality will be down.
    accessories and lenses - someone else kit can be a really good value buy. Tripods, flash units, lenses etc all add up
    know your prices - if it only costs a little more to buy new, then do so. you get a nice new camera and a warrantee.
    My build thread here: 1.6 sr into 1.8T http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/foru...-8t-63249.html

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123