Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DSG & neutral with handbrake

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wagonist View Post
    This is what I'm doing, but wondering what's actually happening with the gearset inside the transmission.
    ie is there a synchromesh system a bit like a manual, or is neutral a setting where both clutches are disengaged, or something else?
    Your question has been answered by both Lucas and I and if you have AUTOHOLD on it shouldnt move until you dab the loud pedal

The DSG is a manual gearbox with electronically controlled clutches. It works by putting the gearbox into first on no 1 clutch and 2nd on no 2 clutch as you speed up it swaps clutches and the other one goes to 3rd and waits and so on up to 7th.

As you decelerate the opposite happens but normally it only goes back to 2nd unless you actually stop.
    Should you go back to (say) 3rd and suddenly hit the loud pedal it will say to its self Oh **** i thought you were slowing and has to swap from 2nd to 4th so thats why you get that momentary pause as it cant read your mind

There endeth the lesson
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Your question has been answered by both Lucas and I and if you have AUTOHOLD on it shouldnt move until you dab the loud pedal

The DSG is a manual gearbox with electronically controlled clutches. It works by putting the gearbox into first on no 1 clutch and 2nd on no 2 clutch as you speed up it swaps clutches and the other one goes to 3rd and waits and so on up to 7th.

As you decelerate the opposite happens but normally it only goes back to 2nd unless you actually stop.
    Should you go back to (say) 3rd and suddenly hit the loud pedal it will say to its self Oh **** i thought you were slowing and has to swap from 2nd to 4th so thats why you get that momentary pause as it cant read your mind

There endeth the lesson
    Sorry, no it doesn't.

I'm pretty sure it has autohold. I stop on an uphill and take my foot off the brake and the car will sit there.
    BUT, if I'm parked on a downhill or a flat and I take my foot off the brake without touching the loud pedal, the car will start to move like a normal auto...
    Maybe there is a setting somewhere to change so that it operates all the time.

Your answer may give a solution to change my driving style, however, you're not answering my technical question of saying what is the trans doing when it's in neutral, which is what I'm really curious about.

Users Country Flag
    Sorry, no it doesn't.

I'm pretty sure it has autohold. I stop on an uphill and take my foot off the brake and the car will sit there.
    BUT, if I'm parked on a downhill or a flat and I take my foot off the brake without touching the loud pedal, the car will start to move like a normal auto...
    Maybe there is a setting somewhere to change so that it operates all the time.

Your answer may give a solution to change my driving style, however, you're not answering my technical question of saying what is the trans doing when it's in neutral, which is what I'm really curious about.
    When its in Neutral or park will be doing nothing as the electronic side (mechatronics) will be off and so it just sits there. When You put it in D it wakes up and selects 1st, unless you put it in R.

Hill hold and Auto hold are different afaik Hill hold keeps brakes on for a certain time and then releases. Autohold keeps them on until you press the loud pedal.. Does in my Tig anyway and did in my prev Passat.. I will try it in the morning as going to a hilly part locally. I rarely use either cos its flat where i live.

You are of course enabling the Autohold by pressing the button arent you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    When its in Neutral or park will be doing nothing as the electronic side (mechatronics) will be off and so it just sits there. When You put it in D it wakes up and selects 1st, unless you put it in R.

Hill hold and Auto hold are different afaik Hill hold keeps brakes on for a certain time and then releases. Autohold keeps them on until you press the loud pedal.. Does in my Tig anyway and did in my prev Passat.. I will try it in the morning as going to a hilly part locally. I rarely use either cos its flat where i live.

You are of course enabling the Autohold by pressing the button arent you.
    Can you elaborate on the "just sits there"?
    From my understanding of the clutches, they are naturally disengaged unless pressure is applied, which is the opposite of a clutch in a manual. If neutral then is simply that both clutches are disengaged and so the engine is spinning the input shaft(s) up to the clutches, then I'm cool with that. It shouldn't be spinning anything else in the gearbox.

Considering my car doesn't have an autohold button, I doubt it has that function. My only experience with an auto hold function is in a Mitsubishi Outlander at work which also then has an electric handbrake.
    As my car still has a normal handbrake lever, I guess this would be a difficult function to integrate

Users Country Flag
    Can you elaborate on the "just sits there"?
    From my understanding of the clutches, they are naturally disengaged unless pressure is applied, which is the opposite of a clutch in a manual. If neutral then is simply that both clutches are disengaged and so the engine is spinning the input shaft(s) up to the clutches, then I'm cool with that. It shouldn't be spinning anything else in the gearbox.

Considering my car doesn't have an autohold button, I doubt it has that function. My only experience with an auto hold function is in a Mitsubishi Outlander at work which also then has an electric handbrake.
    As my car still has a normal handbrake lever, I guess this would be a difficult function to integrate
    Sorry forgot you have that model without electric handbrake. So to save typing have a read through the 13 pages of this

DSG, demystified! All you need to know about VW's Direct-Shift Gearbox - Page 5 - Team-BHP

Users Country Flag
    Just to confirm that Auto hold does keep car still when stopping facing downhill.
    'Tried it today and car just sat there for about 3 mins until I tapped the pedal and it then rolled away

Just an observance with our Transporters DSG in relation to stopping at lights etc , in ours if you watch carefully at the Tacho when the brakes are applied at stop the tacho fluctuates up a tiny number of revs . As soon as you release the brakes its as if it is engaging again and the tacho decreases as it takes up the load .

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny43.5 View Post
    Just an observance with our Transporters DSG in relation to stopping at lights etc , in ours if you watch carefully at the Tacho when the brakes are applied at stop the tacho fluctuates up a tiny number of revs . As soon as you release the brakes its as if it is engaging again and the tacho decreases as it takes up the load .
    Yes because both of the clutches disengage just like if you put it into N and the 1st gear clutch engages when you release the brake

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12