Definitive Car

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drive less cars (Autonomous driving future)

Users Country Flag

Drive less cars (Autonomous driving future)

I'm not saying that the autonomous cars will never come.
    However to put them on the road now
    ....is like bringing the first release of Nintendo game-boy to the chess championship and that's too generous, I should really say to bring "the calculator" instead.

Update: Tesla Car on Autopilot Accelerated Prior to Fatal Crash | Engineering360

Users Country Flag

Drive less cars (Autonomous driving future)

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    I'm not saying that the autonomous cars will never come.
    However to put them on the road now
    ....is like bringing the first release of Nintendo game-boy to the chess championship and that's too generous, I should really say to bring "the calculator" instead.

Update: Tesla Car on Autopilot Accelerated Prior to Fatal Crash | Engineering360
    So when should they be allowed on roads? I also wonder how many times the autonomous and safety systems in these car prevented an accident, but have not been reported on?
    Daily: 2010 Tiguan TDI | Candy White | Manual | 4MOTION | New York Wheels | Comfort Pack | Tinted Windows | Discover Media | MkVI MFSW | Mk7 Climatronic | RVC | Fog Lights | ECB Nudge Bar | Hella 160 Driving Lights | Rola RBXL135 Cross Bars | To Do: Colour MFD
    Toy: 2008 GTI Pirelli | Sunflower Yellow | 3 Door | DSG | Pirelli Wheels | RNS-510 | 9W7 Bluetooth | RVC | Rear Sensors | Fog Lights | To Do: Mk7 Climatronics, MkVI MFSW, Colour MFD

Quote Originally Posted by arcadelt View Post
    So when should they be allowed on roads? I also wonder how many times the autonomous and safety systems in these car prevented an accident, but have not been reported on?
    Perhaps when the manufacturers can prove there is no possibility at all of this happening.

Uber suspends self-driving car tests after vehicle hits and kills woman crossing the street in Arizona - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Bad luck to the innocent pedestrian whose life has been ended, no amount of revision of the software and/or hardware or payment of compensation can ever bring her back from the dead.

No way in the world is this technology ready to be rolled out on public roads yet, I for one do not wish to become an unpaid, involuntary crash test dummy as they test their technology in public.

Cheers

George
    06 Jetta 2.0TFSI Killed by a Lexus!
    09 Eos 2.0TSI DSG Loved this car but has now gone to a new home!!
    14 EOS 2.0 TSI has arrived!

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by VW Convert View Post
    Perhaps when the manufacturers can prove there is no possibility at all of this happening.

I for one do not wish to become an unpaid, involuntary crash test dummy as they test their technology in public.
    Surely by that measure humans shouldn’t be allowed to control cars either. At the moment you have the potential of being an unpaid crash test while humans sort out their "software".

List of countries by traffic-related death rate - Wikipedia
    Daily: 2010 Tiguan TDI | Candy White | Manual | 4MOTION | New York Wheels | Comfort Pack | Tinted Windows | Discover Media | MkVI MFSW | Mk7 Climatronic | RVC | Fog Lights | ECB Nudge Bar | Hella 160 Driving Lights | Rola RBXL135 Cross Bars | To Do: Colour MFD
    Toy: 2008 GTI Pirelli | Sunflower Yellow | 3 Door | DSG | Pirelli Wheels | RNS-510 | 9W7 Bluetooth | RVC | Rear Sensors | Fog Lights | To Do: Mk7 Climatronics, MkVI MFSW, Colour MFD

Surely by that measure humans shouldn’t be allowed to control cars either. At the moment you have the potential of being an unpaid crash test while humans sort out their "software".

List of countries by traffic-related death rate - Wikipedia
    Not at all, I don't believe in replacing one imperfect technology with another imperfect technology.

By all means we should encourage technology as an aid to assisting us humans with our imperfect "software" to avoid accidents whilst perfecting the technology but let's wait until it is perfected before making the existing flawed "software" redundant.

Cheers

George

Users Country Flag
    I suspect that there have been more human driven car crashes resulting in deaths than that of autonomous cars. Life will change, but I'm not looking forward to not being able to drive. I like it too much.
    Richard
    2007 Black Jetta 103TDI Manual, 18s, body kit + rear spoiler
    2001 Landcruiser FZJ105 Manual - The petrol guzzler!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheezel View Post
    I suspect that there have been more human driven car crashes resulting in deaths than that of autonomous cars. Life will change, but I'm not looking forward to not being able to drive. I like it too much.
    Given that millions of humans have had more than a century head start on autonomous vehicles that's hardly a fair comparison!

Cheers

George

Quote Originally Posted by Cheezel View Post
    My take on autonomous cars is that I like to think the reason I have drivers license is because I can use my eyes and brain to drive and make decisions , I always tell people about the first autonomous planes with fly by wire tech , one particular one was a flight in Europe where the pilots were fighting with a computer for control of the plane , it was doing roller coaster dives and climbs for apparently quite some time . According to a pilot of another airline who witnessed part of the flight , it became evident the pilots were losing the fight as each climb was followed by a bigger decent until it crashed into the ground . Autonomous plane "1 " experienced pilots and a hundred or so passengers "nil "

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by VW Convert View Post
    Not at all, I don't believe in replacing one imperfect technology with another imperfect technology.

By all means we should encourage technology as an aid to assisting us humans with our imperfect "software" to avoid accidents whilst perfecting the technology but let's wait until it is perfected before making the existing flawed "software" redundant.

Cheers

George
    It will never be perfect. When was the last time your computer crashed? I'd suggest recently, although no doubt it is world away from where is was even just five years ago...and yes, your Windows or Mac machine doesn’t have your life in its hands, but I'm making a point about perfection, which is unattainable, at least while imperfect humans are doing the programming.

Personally I would be happy with autonomous vehicles starting to populate the roads when they are demonstrably better. At least they won’t be tempted to put ultra-bright non-ADR compliant illegal bulbs in their headlight sockets, blinding every oncoming driver in the process 🤬

It will never be perfect. When was the last time your computer crashed? I'd suggest recently, although no doubt it is world away from where is was even just five years ago...and yes, your Windows or Mac machine doesn’t have your life in its hands, but I'm making a point about perfection, which is unattainable, at least while imperfect humans are doing the programming.
    Agree, perfection is probably unattainable just as there are many humans who should not be allowed to drive but I think there has to be a significant period of time whereby the technology is used as an aid to drivers until it evolves to the point that autonomous vehicles become viable.

Let's also not overlook the legal minefield in terms of liability that will arise when autonomous vehicles are involved in accidents. The lawyers are going to have a field day!

At least they won’t be tempted to put ultra-bright non-ADR compliant illegal bulbs in their headlight sockets, blinding every oncoming driver in the process
    No, but the stupid human owners may still do this!

Cheers

George

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast