Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the dealer allowed to do this?

Users Country Flag

Angry Is the dealer allowed to do this?

I just bought a new Golf R and part of the deal was for black mirror caps to be fitted.

The mirror caps were an optional dealer fitted extra, and arrived 2 weeks after I picked up the car.

They fitted them today but would not let me have the original silver mirror caps.

Am I within my rights to expect that the original mirror caps should be returned to me?
    Ben

2015 Polo GTI & 2019 Golf R

Users Country Flag
    I wouldn't bother, the silver caps are cheap unpainted plastic caps. Probably not worth $5 each.

Your black caps would be much better and why would you want the old caps anyway?

I upgraded mine the day I got my R with carbon fibre caps and threw the silver caps away .....
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag
    Hi BenT,

I am not a lawyer ( therefore this legal disclaimer ) , but like you I would have expected to receive the original back.

It depends on how the sales contract was written up. Was it REPLACE with black mirror caps?

I would ask to have a word with the Sales Manger or the Dealer Principal.

If you can be bothered you can always approach consumer affairs in your state.

Good luck and keep us informed.

The problem is ... that they've probably thrown them away hence you 'can't' have them. I would have expected to be given them back, but would have made sure I let them know when I dropped off the car.

Maybe if you ask nicely, the salesman will keep an eye out for someone else who is changing their silver mirror covers.
    RS
    R

Users Country Flag
    Maybe they broke them when removing them.
    Possibly they had the right intentions and were going to give back to you?

As already stated, just have a chat with the salesman / sales manager, I am sure they will make things right...
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Users Country Flag
    As you said the deal was for the car to come with black caps to be fitted

They did so whats the beef. If they had them in stock and put them on the car before delivery would you also have expected to get the silver ones. I wouldnt
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Unless you paid for them separetly above the cars price then the dealer would be right in holding onto them .

Not sure why you're so cut up about it if you didn't like the silver caps and ordered the car with black.

As others have said it will depend on the wording in your contract but I would only think you'd have a leg to stand on if the black caps were in addition to the stock silver ones.

If I was the dealer I'd be keeping the silver ones too just in case someone scratched up a set on a new car and they'd have ones to replace them.

If your contract was written up with the car price and then a separate line with price for the mirror caps then you could claim that these were additional item. If it's just noted on the contract that the car is to be supplied with black caps and it's not itemised with a $ amount next to it then you can assume that it's just swapped over like they've done.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    If they had fitted them during delivery you would not have received the originals. As far as I am aware whenever options are ordered they are replacement parts. For example, if you ticked the box for leather, would you expect the fabric seats to be in the boot when you picked it up?
    2015 Jetta Highline
    2017 Ducati Supersport S

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by theresanothersteve View Post
    If they had fitted them during delivery you would not have received the originals. As far as I am aware whenever options are ordered they are replacement parts. For example, if you ticked the box for leather, would you expect the fabric seats to be in the boot when you picked it up?
    Would hope if you order a car with leather it came with it from the factory and not swapped over a month later LOL

But yeah we get what you mean
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast