Thread: Sludge in petrol tank?

Sludge in petrol tank?

Hi guys,

I've had an unfortunate incident with my R.

Before that a bit of history on my, the car has only clocked 35+++ km. It has been remapped to ABT stage 1. Sometimes i would fill up with octane 95 but most of the time octane 97.

I had just fill up my tank and was driving my car bout 2-3 km around 60-70km/hr and suddenly i felt loss of power. I tried to step on the accelerator but nothing seems to happen. The car came to a completely stop and i couldn't start the engine.

Had to wait 2 hours for the tow-truck and towed back to the VW service centre. It took them 2 weeks to come back to me with a half diagnose status. The preliminary check found out there is a substance in the tank (refer to the photo). It looks like a coagulated substances and it is between the fuel and water.
    Sludge in petrol tank?-asaat4gox1xj1e9n3edlqytkxppykawiyplchrswwxgx-jpg

Further detail diagnose due to the substance in the fuel, it had clogged the fuel pump and all 4 injectors. Apart from that the relief valve, v-belt and hose was also advised to be replaced.

VW couldn't find the rootcause and to add salt to the wound it wasn't under the warranty coverage. So i had to fork out from my own pocket.

All in all the car was in the service centre for 4 months. It was painful experience but then again i still love my R.

So anyone have any idea what probably cause the sludge in the tank?

Most likely contaminated fuel — given the quantity, probably at your last fill.

Either that or some-one doesn't like you...

Users Country Flag
    *sucks air*

Damn... sounds like an expensive fix. Were you filling up from a non-mainstream supplier?

I make it a point to only fill up from Caltex, Shell or BP...... even then, from stations off a high traffic road so I know the fuel isn't stale.

1981 Honda Civic hatch. Proper AUTO REVERSE cassette player. AM/FM with Stereo speakers. Four (yep, FOUR!) speed manual. Full cloth trim seats. HALOGEN lightbulbs! Factory options fitted: rear wipers and washer, "Go Fast" wheel covers & electric front windows.

Users Country Flag

Being in KL...I would think buying from any petrol stations there is a roll of the dice

So did you always buy the fuel from the same petrol station?