Thread: Dash rattle

Users Country Flag

Dash rattle

I have a brand new VW and get a dash rattle when driving over undulating roads like the body is flexing just enough or something. But I’m really reluctant to give it to the dealer to fix because they might make things worse trying to fix it.

I loathe rattles in the car and whenever I’m with my wife the radio is off so I can’t drown it out.

What would you do? Am I being overly pessimistic about the dealer?

Ben
    Now: ‘19 VW Golf R, ‘15 Polo GTI
    Before: ‘06 RenaultSport Megane 225 Cup, ‘14 VW Polo GTI, ‘12 VW Golf GTI, ‘06 VW Golf GTI, ‘05 VW Golf Sportline, ‘01 Holden Astra SRi, ‘00 Nissan Pulsar SSS, ‘99 Holden Astra CD, ‘98 Nissan Pulsar SLX, ‘91 Nissan Pulsar GL with Q engine swap, ‘80 Subaru Leone
    Ben

2015 Polo GTI & 2019 Golf R

Users Country Flag
    Where in the car are the rattles We had them in the dash in a Passat and was fixed by putting some thin foam under the trim in the binnacle
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Sounds like where dash meets windscreen

Ben
    Before: ‘06 RenaultSport Megane 225 Cup, ‘14 VW Polo GTI, ‘12 VW Golf GTI, ‘06 VW Golf GTI, ‘05 VW Golf Sportline, ‘01 Holden Astra SRi, ‘00 Nissan Pulsar SSS, ‘99 Holden Astra CD, ‘98 Nissan Pulsar SLX, ‘91 Nissan Pulsar GL with Q engine swap, ‘80 Subaru Leone
    Ben

2015 Polo GTI & 2019 Golf R

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by BenT View Post

Ben
    Not a pen or something rolled into the groove between dash and screen is it Look from outside to see
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Quote Originally Posted by BenT View Post

Ben
    I have the exact same rattle and it drives me nuts.

A few searches seem to indicate it is from the trims around the instrument cluster. After driving a few vw's (including some brand new ones), I've noticed they've all had annoying little rattles, seems to be a design issue.

I'm going to try the foam myself, but I hate pulling apart trims.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag

I’m finding that upgrading to Amarok fixes the rattles since the roads around where I live are in horrible condition.

So, unless the roads where you drive are ok, I wouldn’t bother going to the dealer for fix.