Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cost of Roadworthy Inspection in Melbourne

Quote Originally Posted by greasykitchen View Post
    Having recently moved from Adelaide to Melbourne I eventually decided to get around to transferring my rego over which necessitates a roadworthy inspection.

What's the going rate for one?

From what I understand there's about 2 hours' labour involved. I was quoted (I think, I may have misheard) well over $200 ($260 I think) from a 'prestige' workshop in Surrey Hills. In contrast a friend of mine had her's done at Ultra Tune in Hawthorn for $150 a few months back.

Being new to Melbourne I'm not sure of mechanics' typical hourly charge, but $130 and hour seems a little high (but I may well be out of touch).

Thanks
    Correct if I'm wrong, but if you own the car in another state and move to Victoria, all you need to do is pay for the rego? I recently moved a car from WA and didn't need a roadworthy to register in Victoria.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by noisuf View Post
    Correct if I'm wrong, but if you own the car in another state and move to Victoria, all you need to do is pay for the rego? I recently moved a car from WA and didn't need a roadworthy to register in Victoria.
    That is a good point. I was originally under that impression, but a friend was recently in the same boat and she did have to get a RWC.

According to Vic Road, in "most situations" you don't need one, but it doesn't specify in what circumstances that it is needed. See: Interstate vehicle registration : VicRoads

Maybe as SA doesn't have RWC that cars from there need an inspection.

I'll call Vic Roads on Monday to clarify.

Thanks for raising it as it could save me time and money.

Cheers
    '76 Mk1 Golf - Gone!
    '05 Mk5 2.0 FSI Sportline

Users Country Flag
    When I last had vic rego, so long as the car was already registered in another state when you changed it over, you didn't need a roadworthy. It's a steep price for a roadworthy though!! NT has a set rate of $37 for roadworthys.
    "If can't get behind your troops, feel free to stand in front of them..."

Im pretty sure I pass that place everyday going to uni. They have the small car yard there too?

i like volkswagens
    My blog: http://garagefiftythree.blogspot.com.au/

When I was at Vicroads last time a guy came in with a camry on Tas rego. It was his, he just payed for a vic rego and plates and didnt need a RWC. This was at the office in Burwood.

Thought I paid about $55 for a RWC last year. Maybe I got mates rates.
    PM me if you would like details of where I went - my usual mechanic.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred View Post
    Im pretty sure I pass that place everyday going to uni. They have the small car yard there too?
    Yeah it does. Opposite Wattle Pk. Around the corner from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    When I last had vic rego, so long as the car was already registered in another state when you changed it over, you didn't need a roadworthy. It's a steep price for a roadworthy though!! NT has a set rate of $37 for roadworthys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Boy View Post
    When I was at Vicroads last time a guy came in with a camry on Tas rego. It was his, he just payed for a vic rego and plates and didnt need a RWC. This was at the office in Burwood.
    That's good to hear. I'll find out for sure tomorrow if I need one. But like I said, my friend from SA did have to get one for her '99 Honda, so I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by Campaign View Post
    Thought I paid about $55 for a RWC last year. Maybe I got mates rates.
    PM me if you would like details of where I went - my usual mechanic.

Paul
    Thanks I may well do if I need to get one. I know the requirements for a RWC inspection changed mid-last year making it longer and more expensive. But $55 may well be mates rates. Better than $260 that's for sure.

Thanks all.

Cheers.
    '76 Mk1 Golf - Gone!

Ok, so it turns out I don't need a RWC. D'Oh! Just as well I posted on here or I could have wasted my money.

Thanks for all the comments.

Cheers.
    Stephen
    '76 Mk1 Golf - Gone!

Users Country Flag
    I know you didn't end up needing a roady but I just thought I would explain to people what has changed in VIC in the last year.

A roadworthy inspection now includes photos. The mechanic has to provide a photo of each item they pick on and when its replaced they can take a photo of the good one. So basically it covers their butt if the car gets defected and the person tries to get it back on the roadworthy person.

Kmart do the cheapest RWC for $165. everywhere else may charge you by the hour. There is not "set" victorian fee for it. They can charge whatever they want!

my 2c

Thanks Stu. That's how I understand it as well. It probably also helps crack down on dodgy mechanics who give out RWCs to cars that aren't passable.

Good to have the info for future reference. I'll also add that RWC isn't required when re-registering in Vic if the car stays in the same name, is currently registered (I think this one is the case) and has rego plates. VIN, engine number and reg number are required. Vic Roads confirmed this for me today.
    '76 Mk1 Golf - Gone!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12