Thread: Corrado VR6 - Import

Users Country Flag

Corrado VR6 - Import

Hi guys,

May have the opportunity to buy my old Satin Silver Corrado VR6 back which had to be sold when we moved to Australia in 2016.

We have agreed a fair price, got some decent shipping in container quotes etc etc.

However, the point i am struggling with is the import process. Can anyone enlighten me further on what needs to happen.
    WA based by the way.

Users Country Flag
    I'd suggest you get the help of an import agent type person to deal with process and rules. Car Shipping & Import to Australia

I did look at this a while ago and as far as I can remember, if the Corrado was built before 1 Jan 1989 you can buy it back and import as a personal import. I don't believe this will apply here.

If you kept the Corrado in storage (and not sell it), you could have imported it as a private import under the rules, BUT the fact you sold it and now want to buy it back means you lost that legal avenue.

EDIT: I did have another quick look at the legislation and the RVS changes which did not go ahead as originally planned has a work-around by the Federal Govt. Which is great BTW. Interim measure: vehicles older than 25 years

So, if you Corrado was pre 1995, this could happen!

I am actually really glad you asked this (and forced me to review) as I wanted to bring in a specific car that was post 1989 but pre 1995
    Last edited by Sharkie; 26-03-2021 at 03:51 PM.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    I'd suggest you get the help of an import agent type person to deal with process and rules. Car Shipping & Import to Australia

I did look at this a while ago and as far as I can remember, if the Corrado was built before 1 Jan 1989 you can buy it back and import as a personal import. I don't believe this will apply here.

If you kept the Corrado in storage (and not sell it), you could have imported it as a private import under the rules, BUT the fact you sold it and now want to buy it back means you lost that legal avenue.

EDIT: I did have another quick look at the legislation and the RVS changes which did not go ahead as originally planned has a work-around by the Federal Govt. Which is great BTW. Interim measure: vehicles older than 25 years

So, if you Corrado was pre 1995, this could happen!

I am actually really glad you asked this (and forced me to review) as I wanted to bring in a specific car that was post 1989 but pre 1995

The 25 year old rule was where I was going with it. I thought it was possible. My concern is the compliance/registration. Never had to use the Pits here. Just wondered with the new rules wether it was a formality i.e. safe to use on the road or a full ADR compliance/engineering on everything.

Car is standard.