Thread: Buying a Imported car

Buying a Imported car

Anyone know if there is a way to find the history on an imported car? Vehicle history checks only give the history known in the Australia but not if its been written off or anything before import.
    Just wondering if anyone knows anything about this

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Is the car currently in Australia or o’seas?

If o’seas, what country? If its a 1st world country they probably have their equivalent of a REVS check or similar? You just need to find the appropriate website and input the VIN and/or rego.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Imported as in past tense so its been imported not importing. REVS check only give details on Australian history. Just wondering if there is a system that can locate the actual cars history. Iv talked to a few government agencies regarding the rules on RAWS and importation of written off vehicles, and there is not rule stating that you can or can not import a classified written of vehicle. Far as they are concerned, long as the vehicle is road worthy then its fine to import, which is kinda a flaw in the system if it allowing junked up written off vehicles to enter the country free at will. There should regulation that you can not import a written of vehicle. Because that vehicle will then enter the country with its written off status and history deleted. This a is a huge problem, especial for a car like a lotus exige. Im sure there is a REVS equivalent in the origin on where the cars has come from. But if the seller has no history or documentation on the importation process, then it makes it even harder to obtain any real history. Frankly i think the whole RAWS and SEVS legislation is one of the most neglected ones in the country.

I was able to work out the original rego of my import and find some history of it.
    Can you get your hands on any service books or receipts?

Slightly off topic...
    When I was looking for an upgrade there was plenty of newish cars that weren't on any register yet had been completely or mostly resprayed and had some questionable stuff going on.
    Yet my previous car that had been "written off" but still road legal, was hiding nothing and in much better condition.
    Know which I would prefer.

So I guess, if its on a register or not is that the be-all and end-all? If its not on a list its one less hurdle. Why not just look at the car?