Definitive Car

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Battery choices

Angry Battery choices

As no one has posted on this section for a long time I thought I would start a rant page HA HA , Ok I am selling my sons beautiful Golf 7 GTI 2015 model .
    Its only done 70000 kays but the battery has died due to being parked for some time . I charged it up about aweek ago and a few days later it would still not start . So I jump started it and went for a 40km drive still no start afterwards. Ok so the battery is dead or gasping for it,s last breath and no defibrillator is going to help obviously . So I went to a few auto stores for a new one , seems they are as rare as rocking horse poo ! Got quotes of around $500 plus WTF !! then he explained that because VW have tried to save a few cents of fuel by installing that stupid Stop Start feature the battery has to be acertain type to restart around town .
    Has anyone had any luck getting an alternative without the high price as we are selling this car and I have already spent a lot on servicing detailing and now a battery , yes its a great car but I am finding a bitter taste in my mouth because of technology that has minimal benefit . My work VW T5 van has a thumping huge stereo with 3 amplifiers and I cant recall spending more than a couple of hundred dollars on a decent amperage output battery in the 14 years I have driven it , the battery has only been replaced about 3 times in its life .

Users Country Flag
    Just put normal battery in it and find a clever bofin with VCDS to code out the stop start system.

I changed my 8V S3's for $400 by RACV. It's an EFB but you can get AGM which is better. Both are designed for start stop systems
    Tig 162 R-Line; Audi TT

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    Just put normal battery in it and find a clever bofin with VCDS to code out the stop start system.
    Just to clarify Transporter , using a standard battery is ok , if the stop start is just left as it is the car will still drive as per normal is that correct or is there a problem related to not disabling it , it can be disabled everytime you drive by just turning it off so to speak .

Users Country Flag
    I had a new stop start battery installed by the dealer was about $425 and Battery World were even more expensive.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

No need to spend a fortune on batteries for vehicles with a Start/Stop function.

You can purchase a SSB i-Start EFB66T for $260.00 at www.batterycentralbrisbane.com.au. Their in-store fitting service is free, but confirm if that includes a reset of the battery registration, which needs to be done with a scan tool.

Technical specifications can be found on the brand's website at superstart.com.au.

AGM type batteries are also available if you wish to spend extra.

You may fit a standard battery into a vehicle with a Start/Stop function, but the expected service life of the battery will be reduced unless the Start/Stop function is disabled.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny43.5 View Post
    Just to clarify Transporter , using a standard battery is ok , if the stop start is just left as it is the car will still drive as per normal is that correct or is there a problem related to not disabling it , it can be disabled everytime you drive by just turning it off so to speak .
    Yes, it is.

Thank you for the replies , I think I have the answer now .

Ok edit time today I had a look at this battery with my glasses on and discovered it has already been replaced with an AGM Battery 19-1 17 so it seems the original had only lasted shade under two years as its a 2015 model registered in February that year which is pretty poor . Now if this one has gone then its also a shade close to two years also pretty poor form . So tommorrow after the Qld holiday I am going to ring the number on the battery and see whats cooking as I think any battery should last more than two years surely .
    Last edited by Sunny43.5; 06-05-2019 at 01:37 PM.

As quoted by Diesel_Vert No need to spend a fortune on batteries for vehicles with a Start/Stop function.

You can purchase a SSB i-Start EFB66T for $260.00 at Leading Battery Supplier in Brisbane, Wholesale and Retail. Their in-store fitting service is free, but confirm if that includes a reset of the battery registration, which needs to be done with a scan tool.

Now call me sceptical but does anyone else find recoding a new battery a ridiculous thing , ok I get the desire to save fuel etc with switching electrical things off and on so the alternator is not working all the time . But call me old school for the last what hundred years all you did was whack in a new battery and off you go , whats with all this guff about recoding stuff all the time , do other car makers do this or is a VW thing ? If you read my latest post it seems these AGM,s dont last long at all .
    Last edited by Sunny43.5; 06-05-2019 at 01:46 PM.

Users Country Flag

Oh, AGM batteries last longer, just turn the stop start off.
    You could get Century battery from SCA, which if you buy AGM is made in Germany (most likely Varna), for $90 more.
    Last edited by Transporter; 06-05-2019 at 02:04 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast