Definitive Car

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Battery choices

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    Oh, AGM batteries last longer, just turn the stop start off.
    You could get Century battery from SCA, which if you buy AGM is made in Germany (most likely Varna), for $90 more.
    Just got a new Century Battery from SCA for $186. Old one stopped after 8 years, which I figure is reasonable. May have just been flattened by lights staying on, which seems odd since they shouldn't on auto. Battery window looked empty, so the manual says not to try to recharge.

DIN53LH MF is the same size as original, but slightly lower capacity and higher CCA.

Thought Century were made in Oz, but not any more, Korea for this one. Came with vent tube but without any instructions, which is appallingly bad. Web site says DIN Stop Start batteries have vent tube and that leaving the red plug in place is dangerous. But mine isn't a stop start battery and century has no battery instructions I can find so far. Anyway the vent tube is in, but where is it meant to go to??? I have pointed it at a recess in the plastic battery tray, since I don't really want possibly acidic gas/liquid going anywhere else.

So presumably a vent means the "maintenance free" battery can dry out over time in the hot engine bay.

Next time, I might have to fork out for a european made Varta. (Only the dearest are made in Germany.) Varta says E44, or Century DIN75LH MF, but both of those are bigger that OE Varta and it sounds like I need the bigger battery blanket/cover to prevent heat soak.

So, just wondering - what is the value equation cost/lifespan for: bigger vs smaller (OE size); vented vs sealed; blanket vs not.
    2015 Polo Comfortline 6M + Driving Comfort Package
    2011/11 Yeti 103 TDI 6M + Columbus media centre/satnav
    (2008 MY09 Polo 9N3 TDI retired hurt hail damage)

Users Country Flag
    Just a clarification on the 'Made in Oz' thing for Century Batteries. CYB makes certain types of wet cell automotive batteries in Australia. CYB does not manufacture any Gel or AGM batteries for these vehicles in Australia, they're all made overseas. i've got a made in Australia wet cell fitted to my Skoda, I can't buy a suitable made in Australia battery for my Tiguan.

The Wet Cell Maintenance Free can end up stuffed as well as there's no means to top up any water that evaporates, and in hot climates it does evaporate even if the battery is not abused.
    2012 TDi DSG Tiguan
    2011 TDi DSG Octavia Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Nurk View Post
    Just a clarification on the 'Made in Oz' thing for Century Batteries. CYB makes certain types of wet cell automotive batteries in Australia. CYB does not manufacture any Gel or AGM batteries for these vehicles in Australia, they're all made overseas. i've got a made in Australia wet cell fitted to my Skoda, I can't buy a suitable made in Australia battery for my Tiguan.

The Wet Cell Maintenance Free can end up stuffed as well as there's no means to top up any water that evaporates, and in hot climates it does evaporate even if the battery is not abused.
    My new wet cell maintenance free is made in Korea. Have to have a look at all the batteries on the shelf. I have topped up the old varta maintenance free with distilled water and the CTEK charger seems to think it's ok. I know a guy who works at CY factory - have to ask him what he knows.

VAG SSP 234 describes batteries and the 3 color magic eye. It says you can replenish batteries with sealing plugs like mine, but have to peel off the sticker.

Maintenance-free batteries with cell sealing plugs These batteries can be identified by the magic eye and sealed cell plugs. To replenish the batteries, the foil seal over the cell plugs can be pulled off.

Battery terminals should no longer be coated with grease, otherwise the terminal clamps could work loose.

Removal:
    • Check whether a coded radio is installed. If yes, the anti-theft code must first be obtained.
    • To prevent an interruption in the supply of power to the onboard electrical system, the system should be supported, e.g. via the cigarette lighter socket. The positive cable should not be earthed in any way when doing this.
    • Switch off ignition.
    • Open heat insulating jacket (if fitted).
    • First unscrew [and remove] the negative clamp and then unscrew [and remove] the positive clamp.

Installation:
    • To avoid damage to the battery housing, the battery terminal clamps should be fitted by hand without using force.
    • Tighten the battery positive terminal clamp to the prescribed torque setting as described in ELSA.
    • Once the positive terminal clamp has been tightened, the negative terminal clamp (battery earth strap) can be fitted to the battery.
    • On batteries that feature a hose for central gas venting, ensure that the hose is not crimped.
    • On batteries without hose for central gas venting, ensure that the vent opening at the top of the battery cover is not blocked.
    • Ensure that the installation position of the battery on the console is correct and observe, if necessary, the groove in the base strip at the front or rear.
    • Tighten battery clamping plate to prescribed torque setting as described in ELSA. Any compensation adapter that may be fitted could be bent in the process. Auxiliary items, such as heat insulating jacket, terminal cover caps, gas vent reservoir or gas vent pipe should be placed back in their correct position.
    • When the battery is reconnected, items of vehicle equipment, such as radio, clock, convenience consumers (e.g. power windows, etc.) should be checked and/or activated in accordance with the instructions given in ELSA. Interrogate fault memory and carry out repair measures as necessary.

My battery terminals appear to be greased from the factory, so I lightly coated them with zinc grease. Polo has the blue plastic spray to prevent corrosion.

I was going to make up a 9V battery memory saver with diode and lighter plug. But I have a cheap chinese variable bench power supply, so instead, I used that, connected to fuse box terminal positive and engine/body earth. Set power supply to voltage of old battery. Removed battery. Adjust voltage to new battery voltage. Installed new battery. Disconnect power supply.

I figured if the car couldn't figure the battery was removed, there wouldn't be any hassles with electronics. It appears the ESC fault might have happened when cranking the flat battery. Cleared reversing out the driveway. (VCDS temporarily not working since my Windows machine got corrupted.)
    Last edited by bluey; 08-06-2019 at 09:21 AM.

Users Country Flag
    You’ve probably attached +12V to wrong +12V in the fuse box.

Users Country Flag
    To be clear (and in this case its not specific to CYB), there are some wet cell maintenance free batteries around that have no means to access the cells to top up the water. I don't know if the CYB ones are like that or not, mine was a 2 year warranty maintainable battery for my Skoda, and it has removable cell plugs.

If you can access the cells and top up the water with demineralised water there's no issue, its more that some batteries do not have this facility. The RACQ supplied battery I had here with a dropped cell had a welded plastic top cover that was not user removable, it was a 3 year warranty maintenance free.
    2012 TDi DSG Tiguan
    2011 TDi DSG Octavia Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    You’ve probably attached +12V to wrong +12V in the fuse box.
    Don't think so. There is a visible metal bar crossing most all the +12V terminals which tested at battery voltage. Think the error comes from flat battery when cranking and dash lights flashing on and off. Anyway, the ESC error clears itself driving in reverse out the driveway. (Not sure what the min distance is - our drive is 10m.)

Had a look at batteries at SCA. All DIN size CYB come from Korea. Look identical to SCA batteries, which are cheaper with shorter warranty. Curious to know if the difference is quality or markup/warranty. Yellow CYB models don't do DIN sizes.

For the more adventurous, monotaro.sg has a few Bosch batteries that fit. Silver models SLX-6C and SLX-7C are same dimensions as OE and recommended larger (like Varta E44) for Yeti. SG$260-SG$290, free shipping over SG$200 and they usually send a 10% off voucher every week or 2. Not charged GST yet, presumably they are still under the $5k threshhold. I read somewhere someone said Bosch are made by Varta. Only problem is that delivery would take a week (few days to pick, 2 days in transit DHL). Have spent lots at monotaro, mostly not car stuff, but did get cup oil filter wrench for Polo.

Users Country Flag

Bosch!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by bluey View Post

Had a look at batteries at SCA. All DIN size CYB come from Korea. Look identical to SCA batteries, which are cheaper with shorter warranty. Curious to know if the difference is quality or markup/warranty. Yellow CYB models don't do DIN sizes.
    Cheaper batteries have less plates per cell and also they could be a 2nd grade.

So should have read my own stuff before forking out. Ran battery down installing dashcam probably by forgetting to turn off the lights.

Ctek charger MXS 5.0 failed to change mode, so charged on AGM setting. Later fixed the CTEK - stupid cheap microswitch fails in all of them - needs lube/clean and works fine. New Exide battery after charge says 12.84V.

Century Yuasa made in Korea has 30 month warranty. Well this one is 32 months old, so is probably about done. The vent probably is bad for longevity, since it lets the battery dry out. Not a patch on the OEM Varta. Resting voltage after charge 12.4 V. Service manual says, according to VAG, after charge, 2 hours no load voltage should be >=12.5V. Still starts the car fine at present, but is working harder running dashcam parking monitoring.

Last battery I got was an Exide for Polo from Bunnings, so ordered another. Exide XDIN55HMF $189 - has 42 month warranty. Will see how they both go..... OEM Varta is winning at 7 years in the heat.

Will consider a Bosch next time ex-japan. Bosch batteries have max 36 month warranty in Australia. Curiously only 2 years and 40,000 km in Japan. Sizing of Bosch Mega Power Silver in very limited in Aus.

Battery university has great article on temperature reducing battery life. So I am sticking to OEM size and my original battery blanket.
    BU-806a: How Heat and Loading affect Battery Life - Battery University
    Last edited by bluey; 20-02-2022 at 04:41 PM. Reason: added

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123