Definitive Car

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Battery choices

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny43.5 View Post
    As quoted by Diesel_Vert No need to spend a fortune on batteries for vehicles with a Start/Stop function.

You can purchase a SSB i-Start EFB66T for $260.00 at Leading Battery Supplier in Brisbane, Wholesale and Retail. Their in-store fitting service is free, but confirm if that includes a reset of the battery registration, which needs to be done with a scan tool.

Now call me sceptical but does anyone else find recoding a new battery a ridiculous thing , ok I get the desire to save fuel etc with switching electrical things off and on so the alternator is not working all the time . But call me old school for the last what hundred years all you did was whack in a new battery and off you go , whats with all this guff about recoding stuff all the time , do other car makers do this or is a VW thing ? If you read my latest post it seems these AGM,s dont last long at all .
    Doesnt it get recoded to tell the ECU or whichever part needs to know so that it charges somewhat differently on a new battery to an old one. Was thread about it a fair while ago
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Yes I do recall the article about batteries but I spent ages going through old threads and never found the specific one which had all the tech stuff .

Users Country Flag
    Yes I do recall the article about batteries but I spent ages going through old threads and never found the specific one which had all the tech stuff .
    Well I gave you the answer so you didnt have to read it all LOL

Now call me sceptical but does anyone else find recoding a new battery a ridiculous thing , ok I get the desire to save fuel etc with switching electrical things off and on so the alternator is not working all the time . But call me old school for the last what hundred years all you did was whack in a new battery and off you go , whats with all this guff about recoding stuff all the time , do other car makers do this or is a VW thing ? If you read my latest post it seems these AGM,s dont last long at all .
    BMW introduced battery registration requirements on the E65 7-series and progressively rolled it out down their model range. I think it's a similar story for Audi and Volkswagen. Mercedes-Benz do not appear to have such requirements, but not sure about the latest models.

Noting that AGM batteries are more sensitive to heat and overcharging compared to standard or EFB batteries, if the original battery is to be replaced with a different type (i.e. from EFB to AGM, or vice versa), there is an option to change the battery type during the registration process. I presume this is to take into account the different charging profiles for each battery type.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Well I gave you the answer so you didnt have to read it all LOL
    Ok you got me there , thanks for the reminder for a grumpy old man Ha HA . I still maintain its a dumb idea , I have occasionally found other stupid ideas from other car makers with recoding etc . I do sunroof repairs and some time back a Peugeot owner bought a new motor for the sunroof , so I fit the motor and it wont work as it should . So I ring a mate who is the workshop foreman for a Peugeot dealer here in Brisbane he tells me the car has to be bought to the dealer and connected to "Planet Peugeot "what ever that is and this machine then tells the car to play nicely with the new motor or its kicked out of the class . I just don,t get this stuff sometimes .

Users Country Flag
    Ok you got me there , thanks for the reminder for a grumpy old man Ha HA . I still maintain its a dumb idea , I have occasionally found other stupid ideas from other car makers with recoding etc . I do sunroof repairs and some time back a Peugeot owner bought a new motor for the sunroof , so I fit the motor and it wont work as it should . So I ring a mate who is the workshop foreman for a Peugeot dealer here in Brisbane he tells me the car has to be bought to the dealer and connected to "Planet Peugeot "what ever that is and this machine then tells the car to play nicely with the new motor or its kicked out of the class . I just don,t get this stuff sometimes .
    All designed to keep guys like you and indies from working on the cars, so as to maximise their profits.

Update took the dub to Battery Traders and fitted standard battery , it threw a couple of error codes on first start up but later the codes no longer showed up . Weirdest thing was during the last few drives after jump starting the stop start feature did not work , after fitting the new battery it started to work again bloody weird technology in these cars . Fingers crossed it stays all good until after its sold . Anyone want to buy a very tidy VW Golf GTI 2015 model 2nd owners with service records except for 60000km service 70000 km service was done just weeks ago I,m hoping for $25K

Users Country Flag
    The 60,000km service is the big one - you might have issues selling the car with that service missing.

As for the start/stop not working with the old battery after jump starting it, the car knows when the voltage is too low or the battery has insufficient amount of charge and will disable the start/stop feature. Once the new battery was fitted, the car registered that the battery had more voltage/charge and re-engaged the start/stop function.

Personally i hate the start/stop function and the savings in fuel are well and truly thrown out the window come time to replace the special AGM batteries. I used to turn it off all the time in our previous Mazda 3, and in our new car i have coded it out so its off permanently.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    The 60,000km service is the big one - you might have issues selling the car with that service missing.

As for the start/stop not working with the old battery after jump starting it, the car knows when the voltage is too low or the battery has insufficient amount of charge and will disable the start/stop feature. Once the new battery was fitted, the car registered that the battery had more voltage/charge and re-engaged the start/stop function.

Personally i hate the start/stop function and the savings in fuel are well and truly thrown out the window come time to replace the special AGM batteries. I used to turn it off all the time in our previous Mazda 3, and in our new car i have coded it out so its off permanently.
    I should have clarified my reply the 60000 service was missed but when they did the 70000 they did it to the 60000 specs .

Final update on new battery , went for 300 km drive Friday and all was perfect no faults and start stop working fine . So now just need to find a new home for the car .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast