Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Battery chargers - what to look for

Users Country Flag

Battery chargers - what to look for

G'day,

Can't find a place for this so hope this is OK.

As a result of Sydney being in lockdown, I had my battery go flat as the car had not been driven for something like 6 weeks. The battery itself was replaced in April 2021.

The NRMA came out and checked it and reported nothing out of the ordinary. Everything was OK, just lack of use.

Given the restrictions, I have had to devise a route that is within my 5 km radius, and I remain within my LGA, and I will be doing this every day, if not couple of days. It was suggested I get a battery charger, but not sure of what I need to look for given modern electronics in cars.

Any pointers?

While I have you reading this, which is better - having the vehicle in a secure location with the ignition off and key removed, or is it better to set the alarm even if it is in a secure location?

A client of mine has some Iveco light trucks. Over the Christmas / New Year break, the locked the trucks inside the factory and just removed the keys. When they returned from the break, they had 3 trucks with flat batteries. It turned out that with the ignition off, the ECU kept polling the key fob and this drained the battery. They were advised to either take the keys fobs away with them or set the immobiliser / alarm.

So, what is the recommendation with VW? Which is better - just removing the key or removing the key and setting the alarm?

Thanks.

Oh, the vehicle is a Caddy Maxi Life.
    --

Users Country Flag
    I have a CTEK MXS 5.0 and have been using it without fault for close to 10yrs now.
    Always a good idea / best practice to let your battery trickle charge every now and then.
    I rotate both my cars each weekend to give them a little "pick me up".

So regardless of our current situation with Lockdowns etc. It is a wise investment...

MXS 5.0 AUS CTEK Consumer
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

2nd the recommendation on a CTEK battery charger. I have a MXS-7.0 which I got from Repco using NRMA membership discount. Regardless of which model you get the CTEK range is set and forget to maintain your battery's condition for situations like lock down.
    There are some other brands which provide similar features but from my research CTEK kept coming up as the better option.

Little known fact, Audi sell the CTEK MXS-5.0 charger as an OEM part (420093050E) for twice the price.

Battery chargers - what to look for-bty-charger-jpg
    Last edited by Flipper Dog; 22-08-2021 at 12:31 PM.
    Flipper Dog
    Now - T-Roc 140TSI, Audi Q5 40TDI
    Past VWs- Golf 6, 7 and 7.5, Touareg 7L and 7P, Passat B5.5, Polo MK3, Polo MK4 and GTI

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for the recommendations/suggestion.
    --

Users Country Flag

Battery chargers - what to look for

Same here, ive had the CTEK MXS 5.0 for about 7-8yrs now after it was recommended to me from someone on this forum. I do quite a few short trips in my car so I put the charger on my car once a week or so. My wife’s car does longer trips, so ill put the charger on her car every 2-3 weeks.

Works flawlessly and its a set and forget device.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Another CTEK MXS 5 user here

Given the current situation, I'm driving my car even less than usual so I've been meaning to stick the charger back on to keep it happy. Good reminder, I'll go do that now

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

I got my CTEK MXS 5.0 here.

On the installation of the cables to the battery, anything of which I need to be aware?

Thanks.
    --

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by wai View Post
    I got my CTEK MXS 5.0 here.

On the installation of the cables to the battery, anything of which I need to be aware?

Thanks.
    Make sure its set correctly according to the instructions regarding the type of battery you have ETC.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

On, that's interesting. The plot thickens

This is what I have been sent by the NRMA

Category: European Fitments
    Technology: Calcium
    CCA(amps): 600
    RC(mins): 95
    AH(20hr): 60
    Length(mm): 242
    Width(mm): 175
    Height(mm): 190
    Assembly Code: C
    Post Type: STD
    Ledges: LS/SS
    Features: RP

For the life of me, I cannot find the printed user guide. It is somewhere, although very difficult to read.

So, now I am going to have to try and find it to work out what to use.
    --

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wai View Post
    On, that's interesting. The plot thickens

This is what I have been sent by the NRMA

Category: European Fitments
    Technology: Calcium
    CCA(amps): 600
    RC(mins): 95
    AH(20hr): 60
    Length(mm): 242
    Width(mm): 175
    Height(mm): 190
    Assembly Code: C
    Post Type: STD
    Ledges: LS/SS
    Features: RP

For the life of me, I cannot find the printed user guide. It is somewhere, although very difficult to read.

So, now I am going to have to try and find it to work out what to use.
    Try the CTEK site for a PDF What car have you got WHat brand and size etc is the battery
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 26-08-2021 at 08:06 PM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast