Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Battery chargers - what to look for

Users Country Flag

I was just reading some more of that today before realising it was older posts... I have had the hard-wired connectors on my Golf directly to the battery forever without issues and the other car just gets clamped directly to the battery every time, again no issues. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag
    Thanks Hawk, will do the first charge from inside the bonnet and then see if I can rig up a permanent connection on whichever seems easier

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    I’ve used Ctek chargers for a very long time. Recommend and sold them to many customers, though I had a few that have failed, some within the warranty, some after the warranty. Now days I use Century Batteries chargers, they aren’t waterproof but are very reliable and can be left connected indefinitely.
    So what's the failure rate for the Ctek mode microswitch??

It is a relatively easy fix once you know what it is - just needs contact clean or lube. I have a can of CRC 2-26 forever.
    Last edited by bluey; 24-02-2022 at 11:17 AM.
    2015 Polo Comfortline 6M + Driving Comfort Package
    2011/11 Yeti 103 TDI 6M + Columbus media centre/satnav
    (2008 MY09 Polo 9N3 TDI retired hurt hail damage)

Users Country Flag
    I just today received my new CTEK MXS 10 as my trusty CTEK MXS 5.0 which ive had for approx 8 years (and used regularly) has started to fail and ive lost trust in it. I have noticed the last few times that I used it, that it got very very hot (normally they get warm, but this was way beyond that temperature) and it was taking forever to charge the battery. So I made the assumption that something is definitely not right with it (ive dropped it a few times lately so it might be my fault). It certainly wasn't worth it to keep using it and possibly cause a fire or damage the cars electrical system.

Decided to pay a bit more this time and get the more powerful 10amp model, assuming this will speed up the charge time by a decent amount, as in particular on my SQ5 (which has a huge battery in the boot) the 5 amp charger took a long time to charge the battery. The MXS 10 is a fair bit bigger in size and weight compared to the MXS 5.0

Nothing lasts forever of course these days, so I figure approx 8 years is a decent lifespan for the charger. But, I it was a little disappointing it didnt last longer.

I did consider some of the other brands (like Noco and Century), and Century has the best warranty by far, but I had some accessories for the CTEK that I have bought separately and wanted to keep using those.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 22-02-2022 at 02:27 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Nothing lasts forever of course these days, so I figure approx 8 years is a decent lifespan for the charger. But, I it was a little disappointing it didnt last longer.
    Suspect the quality/longevity problems are a feature of contract manufacturing in low cost countries. Bean counters get to specify cheap components which are only required to last as long as the warranty. Often failures can be repaired for a few dollars of parts but the missing link is the nouse required to diagnose the failure. (Keeping things alive is a hobby.)

Hope the malfunctioning ctek doesn’t end up in the bin.

Curiously, Amazon says Ctek MXS 5.0 has Sweden as country of origin. So maybe they are made in the motherland and the quality is better??? Amazon say MXS 7.0 has China as country of origin.
    Last edited by bluey; 23-02-2022 at 12:55 AM.
    2015 Polo Comfortline 6M + Driving Comfort Package
    2011/11 Yeti 103 TDI 6M + Columbus media centre/satnav
    (2008 MY09 Polo 9N3 TDI retired hurt hail damage)

CTEK MXS 7.0
    Design and quality of Sweden
    Assembled in China
    Battery chargers - what to look for-20220223_071925-jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battery chargers - what to look for-20220223_071925-jpg  
    Last edited by Flipper Dog; 23-02-2022 at 06:23 AM.
    Flipper Dog
    Now - T-Roc R, Audi Q5
    Past VWs- T-Roc R-Line, Golf 6, 7 and 7.5, Touareg 7L and 7P, Passat B5.5, Polo MK3, Polo MK4 and GTI

Users Country Flag
    Yep both of mine say the same thing - designed in Sweden, but made in China.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag

You are welcome to have it if you think you can learn something from it or even repair it.

Quote Originally Posted by bluey View Post
    Often failures can be repaired for a few dollars of parts but the missing link is the nouse required to diagnose the failure. (Keeping things alive is a hobby.)

Hope the malfunctioning ctek doesn’t end up in the bin.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123