Definitive Car

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adaptive Lane Guidane - undesired feature

Users Country Flag

Adaptive Lane Guidane - undesired feature

i love the adaptive lane guidance (ALG) feature to bits, except for this one part of it that i don't like - in a multi-lane road, it will slow the car down, based on the car in the right lane!!!

in other words, i'm in the left lane, and i approach a car already travelling in the right lane, however at a slower speed (because they're in the "all the way lane"), my car will brake, slow down and keep its distance, hence never overtaking the car!
    drives me nuts!!

so - can the ALG be modified to ignore numpties in the right lane?

yes, i know legally u r not allowed to overtake in the left lane, but it ain't my fault numpties sit/hog the right lane for stupid unknown reasons, for extended periods of time.
    MY17 Superb 162TSI, Business Grey, Tech+Comfort Pack, APR ECU+TCU Stg 1, SLA, Rieger Splitter + Side Skirts, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Hardrace Swaybar, TPMS

Users Country Flag
    I have noticed that as well in my car... Starnge thing is, my car stopped doing that after the camera module software update... I'm not sure if it is related, I could be wrong... Anyway, a simple press on gas would get the car to ignore the slow car on the right side.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

I love using my eyes when I drive saves wearing out this stupid technology , look I know it's supposed to be safer but their is no substitute for using ones brains and eyes while driving . If we are to rely on this stuff in just afew short years we will just get in the car program a destination and let the car do the driving , now where's the fun in that ? Yawn .

I would assume this is a software issue or camera/radar alignment issue.... while waiting for our new car to arrive we have driven loan cars for the last 8 months... some had the adaptive cruise and lane departure warning systems etc... at no time did the system stop me from passing someone on the left.
    The lane departure system would turn itself off when it could not recognise the lanes (bad markings, no definite edges etc..)
    1974 1300 Beetle, 1997 Golf GL, 2003 New Beetle Cabrio, 2014 Audi A4 quattro

Users Country Flag
    Sounds like an alignment or configuration issue.
    A colleague has a B7 Passat that does that. The radar seems misaligned and so will pick up a car in the right lane rather than directly in front.
    Pretty dangerous because it will not 'see' a car directly in front correctly and try and drive into it, or alternatively slam on the brakes because of what the car in the next lane over is doing.
    Advised him to take it back to VW - they told him to get a wheel alignment...(which he did and it made no difference) so I told him to take it back and have them run the proper calibration routine but he hasn't as yet done this.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    when i set my MFD to show the driver assist screen - ALG shows what cars it detects ahead, if any.
    in my case, it will recognise the car is in the adjacent right lane.
    so its not like its not "aimed" correctly.

if i have a car infront of me, ALG will show a pic of a car infront. when we come up to a car in the right lane, ALG will display two cars, the one from before, infront, and now, the one in the right lane.
    so ALG is recognising the different cars, in the different lanes.

p.s. - i don't live/drive by these driver assist features. just quirks i like too use every now n then, and when i do, i don't like surprises like this particular one
    MY17 Superb 162TSI, Business Grey, Tech+Comfort Pack, APR ECU+TCU Stg 1, SLA, Rieger Splitter + Side Skirts, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Hardrace Swaybar, TPMS

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by dArK5HaD0w View Post
    when i set my MFD to show the driver assist screen - ALG shows what cars it detects ahead, if any.
    in my case, it will recognise the car is in the adjacent right lane.
    so its not like its not "aimed" correctly.

if i have a car infront of me, ALG will show a pic of a car infront. when we come up to a car in the right lane, ALG will display two cars, the one from before, infront, and now, the one in the right lane.
    so ALG is recognising the different cars, in the different lanes.

p.s. - i don't live/drive by these driver assist features. just quirks i like too use every now n then, and when i do, i don't like surprises like this particular one
    I have tested mine specifically for this today... I drove on a T2 lane, It doesn't happen anymore after the camera software recall... The car kept on going at 80 KM\H although the cars on the right lane were going slower...

yes, i know legally u r not allowed to overtake in the left lane
    I remember looking this up a while back:
    You must overtake on the right unless a vehicle is waiting to turn right, is stationary, or if you and the other vehicle are travelling in marked lanes. In these instances you may overtake on the left side if it is safe
    - Overtaking - Road rules - Safety & rules - Roads - Roads and Maritime Services

i.e. it is NOT illegal to pass on the left, when on a multilane road with marked lanes.

It is of course illegal not to keep left unless overtaking - as such you will not be penalised, nor should you fear penalty, for passing a vehcile on the left on a multilane road. The person not keeping left is in the wrong.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Vexed View Post
    I have tested mine specifically for this today... I drove on a T2 lane, It doesn't happen anymore after the camera software recall... The car kept on going at 80 KM\H although the cars on the right lane were going slower...
    Hmmm.......maybe I should look into getting the software recall applied to mine too.
    It did it again yesterday - car in the right lane slowed down to turn right, and me, in the left lane, ALG hit the brakes!!!
    Fark me.

Quote Originally Posted by gldgti View Post
    I remember looking this up a while back:
    - Overtaking - Road rules - Safety & rules - Roads - Roads and Maritime Services

i.e. it is NOT illegal to pass on the left, when on a multilane road with marked lanes.

It is of course illegal not to keep left unless overtaking - as such you will not be penalised, nor should you fear penalty, for passing a vehcile on the left on a multilane road. The person not keeping left is in the wrong.
    Ahh......thanks for clarifying that.
    Much appreciated.

Users Country Flag

Hmmm.......maybe I should look into getting the software recall applied to mine too.
    It did it again yesterday - car in the right lane slowed down to turn right, and me, in the left lane, ALG hit the brakes!!!
    Fark me.

Ahh......thanks for clarifying that.
    Much appreciated.
    Yeah check your VIN against the Skoda recalls webaite to see if your car is impacted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast