Definitive Car

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Adaptive Cruise Is this true Article in Courier Mail

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by IsDon View Post
    Maybe he's used to driving a Bentley...
    Or the Batmobile circa Michael Keaton...

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
    Adaptive cruise control won't work if any of the brake lights are out, because it definitely can apply the brakes. Poor journalism again.
    Doubt thats correct as I had a faulty connection in one brake light and cruise was still working as were the brakes.

Had a warning light on the dash but had just completed an hours run nearly all of it with cruise on.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Even my '08 allroad uses the brakes to prevent overspeed downhill. I think the A6 c6 model in general did it from the start (where CC is fitted) and thats from 2004.

But it should be no surprise that motoring journalists write untruths.....
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Doubt thats correct as I had a faulty connection in one brake light and cruise was still working as were the brakes.

Had a warning light on the dash but had just completed an hours run nearly all of it with cruise on.
    OK so it's the failure of more than one brake light that prevents it:

Note
    ■ The ACC is designed primarily for use on motorways.
    ■ The ACC reduces the speed by automatically releasing the accelerator or by
    means of a braking procedure as appropriate. If the brakes are used for an automatic
    speed reduction at any moments, then the brake light illuminates.
    ■ In case of failure of more than one brake light on the vehicle or on the connected
    trailer, the ACC becomes unavailable.
    MY18 Passat Alltrack Wolfsberg (white) darkest legal tint (SOLD), 2014 Golf 110 TDI Highline (sold after DM Flywheel issues), now 2021 RAV4 Cruiser Hybrid, 2020 C-HR Koba Hybrid

Users Country Flag
    My 2011 Ford will brake to maintain speed when going down a hill. It has basic cruise control.

"Braking to match the limit could be dangerous for cars behind." um, ok...?
    They brake but do it lightly and smoothly and if the car behind you can't react to your car maintaining the speed limit down the hill then the driver behind needs to be paying more attention.
    I mean, it's not like the car suddenly gets faster going down hill that the car can't react or jumps on the brakes to reduce your speed by 10km/h suddenly because it was slow to react.

Adaptive cruise control isn't very new, it just hasn't been on base model cars because of the extra sensors and cost. Now that ANCAP2 requires emergency braking systems you already have all the tech and sensors there so now everyone gets this feature by default.

Get ready for everyone to call it what they want but they're all the same tech that's been around for years. Have to give credit to Hyundai though, people understand the word smart but maybe not the word adaptive, so good on their marketing department.

Have you noticed? A lot of items these days just have the word smart put in front of them. Smart-phone, smart-fridge, smart-TV, smart-home...same with the Pro moniker except after the product name.

Past - '95 VW Golf MK3 VR6
    Present - '11 Ford Focus LW Diesel (PSA DW10C)

Quote Originally Posted by stefcio007 View Post
    My 2011 Ford will brake to maintain speed when going down a hill. It has basic cruise control.

"Braking to match the limit could be dangerous for cars behind." um, ok...?
    They brake but do it lightly and smoothly and if the car behind you can't react to your car maintaining the speed limit down the hill then the driver behind needs to be paying more attention.
    I mean, it's not like the car suddenly gets faster going down hill that the car can't react or jumps on the brakes to reduce your speed by 10km/h suddenly because it was slow to react.

Adaptive cruise control isn't very new, it just hasn't been on base model cars because of the extra sensors and cost. Now that ANCAP2 requires emergency braking systems you already have all the tech and sensors there so now everyone gets this feature by default.

Get ready for everyone to call it what they want but they're all the same tech that's been around for years. Have to give credit to Hyundai though, people understand the word smart but maybe not the word adaptive, so good on their marketing department.

Have you noticed? A lot of items these days just have the word smart put in front of them. Smart-phone, smart-fridge, smart-TV, smart-home...same with the Pro moniker except after the product name.

What is actually needed is some "Smart" people to be able to work all that stuff.

Users Country Flag
    That is why we have iPhones . . . for those who do not have the smarts to own a smart-phone
    1997 Golf CL, 2011 Caddy Life TDI, 2007 Golf TDI, 1996 Vento GL (red), 2008 Skoda Octavia TDI
    1996 Vento GL (white) - RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post

I would imagine the cruise control is interconnected via the signal from the brake pedal NOT the actual lights themselves , maybe if all three rear brake components failed then it may affect but I doubt it . Brake light switch failures are a common thing .

Is a begrudging comment in todays paper by the Journalist in answer to a letter saying the writer was"amazed' that a Corolla actually braked and changed down when going downhill on cruise, said that 'Some cars brake now but only within tight limits" Isnt that what you want, no good having loose limits and going 10k over is there. What a nong.
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 26-08-2017 at 02:57 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234