Support VWWC

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wheels - the rules, the law and you...

Dont look down upon it Neil, wear it like a badge of honour hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by FknDubbin View Post
    Dont look down upon it Neil, wear it like a badge of honour hahaha.
    I think it just gives me an excuse to do something crazy to it

Because these wheels ain't going...
    Quote Originally Posted by Whubbsie View Post
    There is nothing better than a polo badge, thats why you will notice Veyron drivers with polo gti badges.... they know where the true sizzles at!

Quote Originally Posted by 99gti View Post
    I think it just gives me an excuse to do something crazy to it

Because these wheels ain't going...
    something crazy liiiiike... involving a mig welder and sheet metal?
    2x Caddy, 1x Ducato

Quote Originally Posted by Mischa View Post
    something crazy liiiiike... involving a mig welder and sheet metal?
    More thank likely...
    Quote Originally Posted by Whubbsie View Post
    There is nothing better than a polo badge, thats why you will notice Veyron drivers with polo gti badges.... they know where the true sizzles at!

Users Country Flag
    just for the boys that were interested in vicroads stance on this one. Seems much the same. The following PDF outlines what is permissible in section 8 starting on page 3 http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rd...340/0/VSI8.pdf

PERFORMANCE, STYLING AND OEM PRODUCTS FOR YOUR VW

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

Users Country Flag
    So let me get this straight, the tyre width can't be more than 26mm wider than stock, but there is no restriction on the size of the rim itself (so long as I match it with a low enough profile so as not to have the whole thing wider than 15mm from stock...

So I can go from 15" rims with a 4" profile tyre for a total of 19" of diameter to say a 18" rim as long as I can find a 1" profile tyre right?
    *Numbers are made up for argument sake.

And that also means that for a VR6 who standard wheel is 6" / 6-1/2" wide you can only run a 7" - 7-1/2" tyre.

In other words, the law doesn't care if you want to run 20" rims with rubber painted on the outside, the problem is that they are too wide?

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hawk View Post
    there is no restriction on the size of the rim itself (so long as I match it with a low enough profile so as not to have the whole thing wider than 15mm from stock...
    talking diameter here not width.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hawk View Post
    So I can go from 15" rims with a 4" profile tyre for a total of 19" of diameter to say a 18" rim as long as I can find a 1" profile tyre right?
    *Numbers are made up for argument sake.

In other words, the law doesn't care if you want to run 20" rims with rubber painted on the outside, the problem is that they are too wide?
    sounds about right. believe the diameter issue is around your speedo accuracy. most tyre places when you ask for replacement wheel/tyre combos will do the calc for you so that it minimises the impact on your speedo.
    1974 1300 Beetle, 1997 Golf GL, 2003 New Beetle Cabrio, 2014 Audi A4 quattro

as far as I understand in WA:

on diameter you are allowed to go up to plus 2", as long as the profile of the tyre offsets the diameter increase, so the rolling diameter of the wheel/tyre remains the same.

widthwise, I think the only restriction is inside clearance must remain the same and no rubbing, and outside must not sit outside the width of the wheel arch
    2007 Audi RS4 with: APR ECU Upgrade; JHM Quick Shifter; Milltek Catback and Downpipes; KW V3 Coilovers; Argon Creative Carbon Fibre Splitters

i rate this thread, before i was getting wheels for the gti i actually called the RTA and was given the same specs, was also interested in getting it engineered just so i dont have problems with the police. sad to hear u got stopped for it.
    2004 GTI, GIAC, DOWNPIPE
    2007 R32 3DR MANUAL
    2010 NAVARA D40
    2016 Q7 4M 200kw

Users Country Flag

Well that screws me with my RS's

FRACK that, they can come catch me lol.
    I'm soo euro even my missus is shaved...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast