Thread: Wheel alignment out after towing, or something worse?

Users Country Flag

Wheel alignment out after towing, or something worse?

Hi All,

So I had to have my GTI towed from the side of the freeway last week due to the fuel line disengaging whilst I was driving, and I've noticed that since I have the car back that the front driver's side tyre is now rubbing on the plastic cowl in the wheel arch when I'm at full right lock - like when reversing from a parking space.

Is this likely just my alignment being thrown out by the car being pulled up onto the truck, or is there some other damage I should be concerned about? Other than this it's still driving fine.

Users Country Flag
    Wheel alignment wouldn't move that much as the only common adjustment is toe.
    Are you sure the liner hasn't moved?

If it isn't the liner I'd be having a close look for a bent lower control arm or possibly the subframe (which is moved to even out the cambers) has shifted.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Thanks for that. I did consider that the liner might have moved too, and had a poke around last night. It seems to be pretty solid, and matches up with the passenger side, which isn't rubbing, so I think it's not this but will look again when I wash the car this weekend and cross my fingers that it's not a control arm.

I'm due for a couple of new tyres at the moment anyway, so here's hoping I can just rectify this when I get them changed.