Support VWWC

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wheel Aligning at home - the guessing way

Users Country Flag

I made up a wheel alignment "system" today.

I purchased a Long acre camber gauge but found it difficult to adjust things with the wheels on the ground.

Here's the gadgets.

The mounting plate I made from the centre of some old worn out discs.

I welded the frame to match the axle height with my usual tyres.

For 0 Toe I just get the distance between the frame ends the same. For anything else I'll have to do some geometry.

Setting the camber is really easy with this setup.

I centred the steering wheel by eye, I'll have to figure out a better method.

Pete

Users Country Flag
    I've had a chance to put a few miles on the car now and I'm happy that I got it right.

On reflection the steering wheel can only be centred by removing and rotating the steering wheel itself, because the passenger side tie rod is a fixed length.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Jones View Post
    I've had a chance to put a few miles on the car now and I'm happy that I got it right.

On reflection the steering wheel can only be centred by removing and rotating the steering wheel itself, because the passenger side tie rod is a fixed length.

Pete
    only until you replace it. new mk1 tie rods are all drivers side ones, so all new tie rods are adjustable - even says so in the manual.

also, if you are running a different camber setting than stock, then you need to have both tie rods adjustable otherwise your steering rack is not centered properly.

On my LS, im running so much negative camber, and i only have the original tie rods, that i have a really bad right hand turning circle, but a really good one to the left.

nice adjustment set up, i like it very much. you gave me an idea - i shall be sending an order to the lasercutters soon i think.
    Last edited by gldgti; 08-06-2008 at 06:09 PM.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag
    If you make up something like these the trick is to bolt both sides to each other while you're welding it up so you can make sure the legs are perfectly parrallel.

The castors face sideways to allow the steering to pivot with minimum resistance. I chose steel because they won't distort under load or twist up.

I made these ones up out of scrap steel i had lying about as a proof of concept. I'd like to re-make them as the box section I used is only 1mm and I'd prefer 3mm to keep every stiff. Also the mounting plates distorted with the heat of the arc welder. I had cut them from a couple of old discs and cleaned them up on the lathe but they're a bit thin too, might use drive flanges next time.

Pete

So is it worth all this time and effort, or would it just be easier to get a wheel place to do it for 40 bucks and know that it's *perfect?

*providing your wheel place is knowledgeable and reputable?

i like volkswagens
    My blog: http://garagefiftythree.blogspot.com.au/

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred View Post
    So is it worth all this time and effort, or would it just be easier to get a wheel place to do it for 40 bucks and know that it's *perfect?

Goodyear charged $75 the last time I had a car done.

You can be just as accurate, even more accurate if you're patient.

I wanted to be able to do this for race setups so I can change between track and road settings myself. It's also a good idea to make sure your settings are still alright before you hit the track, epecially if you've hit any ripple strips or done some gardening.

It's more for tuning suspension than your annual wheel alignment.

I also have a lot of cars including a '59 beetle. Most alignment places won't go near a link pin beetle because it takes too long for them to set camber on these.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Jones View Post
    I also have a lot of cars including a '59 beetle. Most alignment places won't go near a link pin beetle because it takes too long for them to set camber on these.

Pete
    Now thats bringing back memories,, ahh all them shims.....

best doing the alignment yourself no matter what the cost i believe, to many cowboys here that only work on local produce to know whats going on..
    Lots of MK 1 Scirocco's...

If it aint a MK 1 then it must be a donor car ??

Cheers,
    Grant...

Users Country Flag
    Lets say you dont have time and you cbf to put in so much effort and you live in melbourne.

Who do you go to for a wheel alignment that wont be shiz?
    MK1 GLS 3door
    A4 B7 2.0T

There's an easier way than how pete has done it that i know of using 2 tubes and a string line. It requires less work to make too, and you can do it with the wheels on.

I'll explain later when i've got some pics. The way i'm talking about is how most race car teams do it. Very simple and no chance of error unless you physically screw up the measurements.

Having said that pete, i like your little jigs, very nice.

APR Tuned | KW Suspension | INA Engineering | Mocal Oil Control |
    Email: chris@tprengineering.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred View Post

Yeah well... Basically it can be very hard to find someone that will do it properly. If you have the gear it takes 15 to 20 mins tops from start to finish.

Stop being lazy and learn to do it yourself!

APR Tuned | KW Suspension | INA Engineering | Mocal Oil Control |
    Email: chris@tprengineering.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast