Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unique and rare question: what tyres?

Unique and rare question: what tyres?

Hey all.

The search function on this forum is ok (I've seen worse) but I was not able to get the info I'm after: what are the best performance All Season tyres for a golf R (mk7.5) available in Australia?

I have the usual suspects:
    • Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus
    • Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS
    • Michelin Pilot A/S 3+

But as it turns out the first two might only be US release tyres? I'm having trouble with any of the larger stores sourcing the Pirelli and Bridgestone mentioned above so I'm assuming these are US names for these tyres? If this is the case, anyone know of what the Aus equivalents are?

For example, at a Bridgestone shop today they could not find Potenza RE980AS in their system. They gave me a bunch of other numbers RE-(S001, S007A, 003, 71R, and MY02) but looking on the Bridgestone.com.au I can't see the same tread pattern as the US RE980AS tyres.

So, if the tyres here are so different from the US, what performance All-Seasons would y'all recommend for my Golf R?
    Sizing: 235/40/R18

Thanks in advance!

Users Country Flag

EDIT: The US models are mostly different, so forget them.

Michelin Pilot Sport 4’s (PS4) are meant to be awesome. I’ve currently got Pilot Super Sports (PSS), which are fantastic but a bit more expensive. The PS4’s a newer tyre and meant to be close to the PSS performance at a lower price.

I’ve had plenty of Bridgestone RE002’s &
    RE003’s, they’re good & often great deals available. Not the quietest tyre, but good performance for the price. I’ve got RE003’s on my missus’ Polo TSI, they weren’t much more than a ‘normal’ economy tyre in that size.

Pirelli Pzero Nero’s are very good too, though I found they started losing grip once they got closer to the wear markers.

Continentals are fine but fairly noisy & often more expensive.

I’ve not tried Goodyear or Toyo, but they both have some good performance tyres & often cheaper.

If you’ve got a firm budget, get whatever is on sale at the time prices vary wildly from shop top shop and week to week it seems, depending on stock levels & supplier specials/rebates.

If you just want performance, the PS4 is probably the best bet

(I should probably change wheels less often, I’m on my 3rd tyre brand just on this car!)
    2006 MkV 2.0TDI -> 2005 MkV GTI -> 2008 MkV R32 -> 2013 Polo 77TSI + 2016 Mk7 Golf R Wagon

Tyre manufacturers do not tend to import their range of all-season tyres into the Australian market via their official distribution channels, given our very mild winters overall when compared to the US or Canada.

Even in the UK, Europe and North Asia, all-season tyres make up a small percentage of the market.

Having said that, Hankook Ventus S1 noble2 (H452) is probably the easiest all-season tyre to purchase in Australia with a recognisable brand name. Available from Jax Tyres in your size for around $170.
    Last edited by Diesel_vert; 29-11-2018 at 10:37 PM.

If money is no object and you want the best then Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Otherwise if you're on a budget then you go back from there. I've had decent success with Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 2's (now up to 3's), Bridgestone S001 are OK (but soft) and RE003 are good if you're on a budget but by 50% wear you'll want to change (they lose grip as they get older).

Being AWD it's a little more forgiving. Bridgestone is doing 4 for 3 at the moment on Potenza so it makes these fairly attractive proposition.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Thanks for all the info! Definitely helps me do a bit more research. If I’m honest, my daily driving is pretty tame so my main considerations are not to die in the rain/cold in country Vic, then probably road noise. Of course when I give it the beans occasionally I want to feel good. Also, I want to make sure something goes on the R that’s spiritually fitting.

The Michelin Pilot Sport are a summer tyre, no? Or maybe that was the point of the post up above; that in Oz/Vic All Seasons aren’t as necessary as they are in the US.

Thanks again for the info!
    Will dive into research today. Unique and rare question: what tyres?
    Last edited by bkpr; 30-11-2018 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bkpr View Post
    Thanks for all the info! Definitely Harlow me do a bit more research. If I’m honest, my daily driving is pretty tame so my main considerations are not to die in the rain/cold in country Vic, then probably road noise. Of course when I give it the beans occasionally I want to feel good. Also, I want to make sure something goes on the R that’s spiritually fitting.

The Michelin Pilot Sport are a summer tyre, no? Or maybe that was the point of the post up above; that in Oz/Vic All Seasons aren’t as necessary as they are in the US.

Thanks again for the info!
    Will dive into research today. Unique and rare question: what tyres?
    No such thing as all seasons here. They are pretty much all "summer" tyres. Otherwise you can get a set of "mud slingers" as Dutch features in the Mk7 Wheels.

Typically you're just looking for tyres that operate well in the wet and there's plenty of "summer" tyres that have good road holding in the wet.

Ambient temps here don't get so low that you start to need different compounds.

I actually think it's partly "marketing" in the US to make everyone buy 2 sets of tyres - one summer and one winter. Though in locations where there's snow I understand that it's necessary.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    Hey all.

The search function on this forum is ok (I've seen worse) but I was not able to get the info I'm after: what are the best performance All Season tyres for a golf R (mk7.5) available in Australia?

• Michelin Pilot A/S 3+

But as it turns out the first two might only be US release tyres? I'm having trouble with any of the larger stores sourcing the Pirelli and Bridgestone mentioned above so I'm assuming these are US names for these tyres? If this is the case, anyone know of what the Aus equivalents are?

For example, at a Bridgestone shop today they could not find Potenza RE980AS in their system. They gave me a bunch of other numbers RE-(S001, S007A, 003, 71R, and MY02) but looking on the Bridgestone.com.au I can't see the same tread pattern as the US RE980AS tyres.

So, if the tyres here are so different from the US, what performance All-Seasons would y'all recommend for my Golf R?

Thanks in advance!
    Whatever you get do not put Bridgestone MY02 anywhere near your car, they are rubbish in the wet after they are worn in.

I have been asking a similar question about my Polo and the consensus is the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 are awesome but unfortunately do not come in the right fitment for me (ie not 215/40/17) as far as I can see.
    Sword Dude

2011 77 TSI Polo manual Flash Red with Sport Pack
    2014 (MY15) 125 TDI Superb Outdoor 4x4

Heh, the woman at the Bridgestone shop said out of my the three tyres I was getting prices for, Bridgestone were her last choice Claimed they were generally noisy.

- Pirelli PZero ($280)
    - Michelin PS 3 ($250) or 4 ($270)
    - Bridgestone RES007A ($250) or RE003 ($220).

These prices are fitted and balanced. Will see if there are any sales on elsewhere for comparison, but the shop seems pretty good! Maybe it's just the Victorian country vibe (mabo) I'm smitten with since living in the US for the last decade.

PS: is it weird to order a spare tyre? In my experience in the US it was very often a tyre shop wouldn't have the exact tyre but something "similar". So I'd have to wait or go with the similar tyre. Was thinking if I got a flat that needed to be replaced, at least I wouldn't have to wait for the replacement if I had a fifth in the bag. #showerthoughts
    Last edited by bkpr; 30-11-2018 at 03:59 PM.

Hey all.

• Michelin Pilot A/S 3+

Thanks in advance!
    I'm now running Continental SportContact6 after the SportContact 5P: very happy.
    Our VW R Club recommends the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and heard good things.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Talbs View Post
    Our VW R Club recommends the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and heard good things.
    Thanks for the reply. Yea, PS4s seem to be getting good reports all over. Got a few weeks to finally decide but they're definitely on the top of the list.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast