Support VWWC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unique and rare question: what tyres?

TL;DR - You don't need all-season tyres in Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by bkpr View Post
    Thanks for all the info! Definitely helps me do a bit more research. If I’m honest, my daily driving is pretty tame so my main considerations are not to die in the rain/cold in country Vic, then probably road noise. Of course when I give it the beans occasionally I want to feel good. Also, I want to make sure something goes on the R that’s spiritually fitting.

The Michelin Pilot Sport are a summer tyre, no? Or maybe that was the point of the post up above; that in Oz/Vic All Seasons aren’t as necessary as they are in the US.

Thanks again for the info!
    Will dive into research today. Unique and rare question: what tyres?
    On balance, you are not likely to experience wintry conditions (I am referring here to the northern states of your home country) that will justify the fitment of all-season tyres in the vast majority of areas in Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    No such thing as all seasons here. They are pretty much all "summer" tyres.
    Yes, the range of all-season tyres in Australia is very limited.

Typically you're just looking for tyres that operate well in the wet and there's plenty of "summer" tyres that have good road holding in the wet.
    Agreed.

Ambient temps here don't get so low that you start to need different compounds.
    Agreed.

I actually think it's partly "marketing" in the US to make everyone buy 2 sets of tyres - one summer and one winter. Though in locations where there's snow I understand that it's necessary.
    Not intended as a reply, just putting this out there for the benefit of all:

As the ambient temperature approaches freezing, the tread compound on a summer tyre starts to harden and become brittle, which reduces grip. The tread pattern also tends to be shallower with bigger tread blocks and a higher proportion of the tread being in contact with the road, further reducing traction on icy or snowy road surfaces.

In contrast, the tread compound on winter tyres remains soft and flexible, allowing it to provide grip at freezing temperatures. The tread pattern tends to be deeper with smaller and more flexible tread blocks and features more aggressive sipes, allowing it to bite into the snow and generate traction.

Youtube video demonstrating the contrast in performance between summer and winter tyres.

On the flipside, the soft, deep and flexible tread compound and tread pattern characteristics may cause winter tyres to be overworked when driven in warm and dry weather, resulting in reduced performance.

An all-season tyre has a wider operating temperature, allowing it to be driven in high or low ambient temperatures, but the conflicting performance criteria for summer and winter tyres means that the tread compound and tread pattern on an all-season tyre is more of a compromise, and consequently does not provide as much grip or traction in warm or freezing conditions as a summer tyre or a winter tyre would respectively (jack-of-all trades, master of none).

Unlike summer tyres however, it does mean that a vehicle fitted with all-season tyres will be able to accelerate, corner and stop somewhat adequately in icy or snowy conditions without needing to buy and fit a separate set of winter tyres.

In these conditions, all-season tyres are more likely to get you to where you need, as opposed to summer tyres leaving you stranded on the side of the road, or more likely, in a ditch.

This is relevant for motorists in a country like the US or Canada, where there are no uniform regulations mandating the fitment of winter tyres, but frequently experience snowfall and temperatures below freezing during winter.

In contrast, for many parts of Continental Europe, it is a mandatory requirement for motorists to fit winter tyres during designated periods (typically between November and March, but varies according to country), so these motorists will have two sets of tyres - one for winter, and one for the rest of the year. This partly explains the small market for all-season tyres there.

Hence why the North American market is dominated by all-season tyres, and why Australia isn't.
    Last edited by Diesel_vert; 30-11-2018 at 07:51 PM.

Mate, that's one of the best answers I've probably ever read on a forum!
    Video is good too

Edit: Here's a little more info, not that we need it after Diesel's post, but the gist is: "Pirelli says the Australian market for winter tyres is microscopic, but could expand to as much as ‘tiny’ with increased product awareness. It currently imports winter tyres in response to specific customer requests, usually for ski-field duty. Across the Tasman, NZ police are evaluating the use of winter tyres in colder regions"
    Last edited by bkpr; 01-12-2018 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Added handy link

Does anyone have thoughts on Pirelli Dragonsport ?

Users Country Flag
    What did you end up getting? PS4’s?
    2006 MkV 2.0TDI -> 2005 MkV GTI -> 2008 MkV R32 -> 2013 Polo 77TSI + 2016 Mk7 Golf R Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by shauno View Post
    What did you end up getting? PS4’s?
    If that was aimed at me, then the answer is technically nothing, yet. But I’m set to get Michelin Pilot Sport 4s when my BBS wheels arrive in the new year. Did a bunch of research and they seem to get the most positive reviews of any tire. Researched. Selected. Now just waiting.

Righto. Finally reporting back on the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S on 19” Pretorias and 18” BBS SX. Both sets are much quieter than the stock Pirellis that came with the car. Ride quality feels a little smoother too, subjectively, particularly on the 19”s. I haven’t pushed them too hard yet but they feel pretty planted in the wet on squiggly roads in 8° weather temps. But to be honest the Pirellis also felt pretty planted, albeit letting a bit more of the road feel come through the car.

I recommend them just for the road noise reduction which is significant IMO.

Users Country Flag
    As another option not mentioned yet, the Falken Azenis FK510 are a very good tyre and are priced similarly to the RE003's etc. The Falken's rated very highly (in multiple tests) for wet weather grip and feedback, with similar dry grip properties.

$199 each at FK510 235/40ZR18 95Y | 235/40R18 Tyres for sale in

Feedback Falken Azenis FK510 - Tyre Reviews

Placed 5th in the Wheels Magazine 2018 Tyre test: MOTOR Tyre Test 2018: Results

Placed 1st in the Motor Magazine 2018 Tyre test: 2018 Wheels Tyre Test: Winner

After doing quite a bit of research, i just purchased a set of these last week for my car. So far so good. They grip very well, are quiet and were well priced. They have a treadwear rating of 300 so theoretically they should last ok too.

For me, i couldnt justify the insane costs for Michelin PS4's for my car (front are $400 and rears are $500 each) so i was searching for a good quality tyre with more reasonable pricing (i wanted under $300 for fronts and under $400 for rears). It was down to Bridgestone RE003, Kumho PS91, Hankook Venturs S1 Evo2, and the Falken FK510's.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 07-05-2019 at 12:50 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Thanks for the info. As a relative newbie to wheels and tyres, what kind of car/wheels has you spending $600 per tyre for the rear?!

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bkpr View Post
    Thanks for the info. As a relative newbie to wheels and tyres, what kind of car/wheels has you spending $600 per tyre for the rear?!
    Apologies i meant to write $500. They are 275/30/19 for my Lexus IS-F. Pirelli PZero and Bridgestone S001 are nearing $550 each, with Yokohama Advan just over $500. Michelin Pilot Sports are just a touch under $500. I just couldnt justify the price when i could have 85% of the performance for 60% of the price.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12