Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tyre Rotation At Service Intervals

Tyre Rotation At Service Intervals

I just took my 2015 polo GTI into a VW service centre in Sydney a couple of weeks ago for its first service at 15000km. I have now noticed that the tyres have not been rotated. I can tell as there is a small amount of damage I did on one of the rims and the rim that wheel is still in the same position. I can also tell that the front tyres are slightly more worn that the back.

This is the first VW I have owned but on previous cars I have owned the tyres have always been rotated at about the 10000km mark. I looked on the invoice and there is no evidence of them doing a rotation.

Is is this something that should be done by a VW service centre as part of the service? Should I be chasing them up as to why this wasn't done??

thanks

Users Country Flag
    Bit of a grey area. Some dealers won't do it without the customer specifically giving them approval to do it, while others will just go ahead and rotate them and justify that its part of the service.

Give them a call, and see how you go.

Users Country Flag
    I had my Tiguan serviced for 15k kms service, got workshop report in addition to invoice about things checked and work carried, mentioned tyre rotation it was done, but could not notice as rear tyres looked new. I did not ask for rotation but appeared to be part of service which is not carried out. Some dealers will charge extra if you request it.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
    MY15 TIGUAN 130TDI R-LINE - Pepper Grey, Panoramic Sunroof

Depends on the stealership.

Ideally, the customer knows what they want to do with their tyres/rotations (since the customer should know their own car best, right?) and ask the dealer to rotate it when they sign the car in, if a rotation is required.

However, not everyone cares or knows what a tyre rotation is (i.e. mother in law), so the dealership "should" check and "should" suggest to the owner that they should consider having their tyres rotated, to extend life and promote even wear bla bla bla, if it is indeed required (at a fee, usually).

Worst case scenario is if they change it and charge you without telling you!

In your case ......... well, you can whinge to the service manger as to why a rotation wasn't suggested, let alone done, but personally, I don't think you'll get very far.

They may be so kind as to tell you to bring it back in and they will do it for you, or more likely than not, tell you to shove it up your (....)
    RS
    R

Quote Originally Posted by Tuan View Post
    Depends on the stealership.

Ideally, the customer knows what they want to do with their tyres/rotations (since the customer should know their own car best, right?) and ask the dealer to rotate it when they sign the car in, if a rotation is required.

However, not everyone cares or knows what a tyre rotation is (i.e. mother in law), so the dealership "should" check and "should" suggest to the owner that they should consider having their tyres rotated, to extend life and promote even wear bla bla bla, if it is indeed required (at a fee, usually).

Worst case scenario is if they change it and charge you without telling you!

In your case ......... well, you can whinge to the service manger as to why a rotation wasn't suggested, let alone done, but personally, I don't think you'll get very far.

They may be so kind as to tell you to bring it back in and they will do it for you, or more likely than not, tell you to shove it up your (....)
    Well everything you said here was pretty much correct! I called the dealer and they only said they rotate and balance the tyres if you ask or if the mechanic recommends it (which they didn't). They charge $50. (not included under capped priced servicing)

Would you suggest I go somewhere independent and get this done like JAX or Beaurepairs or wait until my next 30,000km service with VW? I've just passed the 17,000km mark

Thanks

If the mechanic didn't suggest it, have a feel of the wear indicators on the tyres. You'll know straight away if you need a rotation or not!

Wherever you go, just be prepared to have your alloys scratched ..... or slightly marked ... just the nature of the industry and the type of work. Yes it's tough work, it's hot and it's hard to give a ****.

At 17,000 kms .. I hope your front tyres aren't already bald (but of course I am assuming you are a hoon like me). I think Ford charged me $40 and surprisingly, no scratches ! Best way to do it is to take your car there after it is washed and with the alloys SUPER CLEAN. That way, hopefully the staff will give take a little more effort in keeping it un-scratched. Or if it is scratched ... you can point the finger.

Otherwise, if you have a mate with a trolley jack and some free time .... it's $0 (or a favour he will hold you to).
    RS
    R

Users Country Flag
    Generally good workshops will rotate the wheels/tyres - they operate on the basis of putting the best rubber on the front of FWD cars

I have a different view - I monitor my tyre wear and get alignments as/when needed
    I don't rotate wheels/tyres on FWD cards because that just wears all 4 out quickly
    I can go through 2+ pairs of front tyres to one pair of rear tyres - so I've bough 2 less tyres
    2012.1 Skoda Octavia VRS DSG Wagon - Carbonio cold air intake and pipe - HPA Motorsports BBK 355mm rotors 6 pot calipers
    APR Stage II ECU - APR 3" exhaust down pipe & high flow catalyst
    APR/HP Roll bars - Eibach springs and Bilstien shocks
    Supaloy lower control arms - Enkei 18*8 Wheels

Users Country Flag
    Those that are as on the ball as yourself, will mention not to rotate, to the workshop prior to work commencing.

But that isn't most customers.

Users Country Flag
    Hi Folks,
    Ok time to resurrect this old thread.

My 2019 R Wagon has just done 32,000 klm and was due for the three year 45,000 klm scheduled service.

I called the dealer and they only said they rotate the tires if you ask or if the mechanic recommends it, which he did. And he advised the tires are soon due for replacement and provided two different quotes for tires too.

They charge $45 to rotate the tires only, which is not reasonable as that excludes balancing. And it is not included under capped priced servicing.

I intend to
    rotate the tires myself, but with the Contis or any directional tire do you just rotate Front to Back keeping that side or cross rotate?

Cheers Al

Users Country Flag

I just rotate front to back which is relatively easy to do at home with a trolley jack. In a perfect world you should also swap sides for optimal longevity but this is really only practical to do on a hoist and with non-directional tyres (also some rims are directional due to the spoke design).

Are the Conti's directional? I didn't think they were. If they are, then you can only practically swap front to back.

And also.....it's tyres, not tires. We aren't in USA.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast