Thread: Strange Sound when accelarating on full lock to right

Strange Sound when accelarating on full lock to right

I recently had my wheels aligned of my VW CC V6 AWD at a suspension place.
    Car has the factory 18" wheels, all suspension stock.

I find it highly coincidental, but i recently noticed a strange rubbing/scraping sound when on full lock and accelerating (e.g. U turn).
    It doesnt happen if moving at a crawling pace, but once there is a little more movement (e.g. 10+kph).

I have never noticed the sound since owning the car, and just noticed it on a u turn i do daily on my way to work (i.e. I am confident i would have noticed it in the past).

Any ideas what this could be?
    Does this sound like something might not have been done correctly during the alignment.

The suspension Shop provided a printout with the adjustment results which they said were all ok.

Cheers

Users Country Flag
    Who does a U turn fast enough to stress suspension. I have too much respect for my wallet to do a fast U turn and rip tread off tyres. A friend does that and moans his tyres dont last. I wonder why???

To address your question its probably tyre scrub
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Who does a U turn fast enough to stress suspension. I have too much respect for my wallet to do a fast U turn and rip tread off tyres. A friend does that and moans his tyres dont last. I wonder why???

To address your question its probably tyre scrub
    To be clear, I don't U turn "fast". Anything above a walking pace causes the noise. We are talking normal U turn speeds here, perhaps 10kph.

I noticed the sound when completing the same manoeuvre I complete daily, which hasn't made any noise, until I had this alignment. I'm just trying to understand if perhaps something may have worn out when adjusted, if it might have been adjusted incorrectly, or it's a striking coincidence.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Did you happen to have new tyres fitted when you had the alignment done? Tyres vary in width from one manufacturer to another, so if you changed tyre brands then its possible you are scrubbing on full lock whereas the older tyres were slightly narrower (im talking a few mm only) and didnt scrub.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

I do have new Tyres, but have been driving on them for a couple months before getting the alignment so am confident it is not related to the specific tyre or I would have encountered this already.

I did actually try the same manuever but at a snails pace and there is no sound, so I can only assume that it is wheel rub when the suspension travels even the slightest amount.

It's interesting that it's only occuring after this alignment. Perhaps the previous alignment settings avoided the wheel rubbing, in which case, im assuming there is no solution as it is currently in spec according to the report.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk