Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Screwed Tyre (Literally) - Options?

Screwed Tyre (Literally) - Options?

Hi guys,

Tyre was losing air so I took it into the local tyre joint to have it looked it. Appears that there is a screw that is pretty border line to the sidewall - which is deemed not repairable. Sent a photo to a mate who use to work at KMart Auto, he said if done properly can be repaired as these are pretty new tyres (I've had them for probably 2 months).

Basically I suspect I have 4 options here:
    1. Take it to my mate or a another repairer to see if they can fix it.
    2. Live with having the screw in the tyre for the remainder of its life, pump it up when necessary (sounds awfully painful)
    3. Replace the single tyre with a new Pzero (Ouch).
    4. Have a pretty mint Goodyear F1 Directional 5 on hand, which as done very low KMs as well (my luck with cars have been so so) - replace the single corner with this.

Just like to see everyone's thoughts on this, and thoughts of having a single mismatched tyre of the same size etc.

Tyre repair is worth the gamble. Doesn't cost that much and if it sticks (I reckon 30-40% chance), money saved. Otherwise, it was a reasonable gamble with very minimal loss.

Or if you're like me, buy cheapest chinese tyre, put it on wheel that gets most of the power. Replace 2-3 times until the rest of the tyres catch up. Victory for all!
    "Dying 's for fools ... ... Because, because I'm a man." - Charlie Sheen

That tyre looks like it's only done very few kms .. OUCH indeed.

My guess is the other 3 are in very good condition too ?

I'd do option 3 but I won't be happy about it.
    RS
    R

Users Country Flag
    At the risk of a complete structural failure, I'd replace the tyre.

It's too close to the sidewall to repair, in my opinion.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Thanks guys, I'm leaning towards replacing the tyre also after getting a better picture this morning.

Can someone advise of the downside of option 4 - mismatching the single corner with another branded performance tyre.

Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    At the risk of a complete structural failure, I'd replace the tyre.

It's too close to the sidewall to repair, in my opinion.
    I'm with you Umai, sidewall failure can have catastrophic consequences.

Question to the OP is, what is the price of replacing a tyre compared to the cost of not replacing it and a failure causing a major accident? It's a no brainer to me, no suspect tyre is worth the risk to your or someone else's life.

Cheers

George
    06 Jetta 2.0TFSI Killed by a Lexus!
    09 Eos 2.0TSI DSG Loved this car but has now gone to a new home!!
    14 EOS 2.0 TSI has arrived!

Users Country Flag
    Have had tyres with small holes like that patched with a sleeve vulcanised inside As long as the threads are not broken which is what makes them unsafe and prone to a blowout. Would only ever use it on the rear and preferably only for a spare
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Have had tyres with small holes like that patched with a sleeve vulcanised inside As long as the threads are not broken which is what makes them unsafe and prone to a blowout. Would only ever use it on the rear and preferably only for a spare
    When you enlarge the hole to pull the tread repair insert through, you break through the cords anyway.

However, the closer to the centre of the tread it is, the less of an issue it is.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by pandas View Post
    Thanks guys, I'm leaning towards replacing the tyre also after getting a better picture this morning.

Can someone advise of the downside of option 4 - mismatching the single corner with another branded performance tyre.
    Depends how worn the existing tyres are.

Although, I'd be leaning towards getting the same tyre as the others, if possible.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

10. Quote Originally Posted by pandas View Post

We do this with my wifes evo all the time. For some reason it is real prone to punctures. It has the same brand and wear on the rear, with an additional two brands at different stages of wear on the front. Is awd and is beat up badly, so we probably wouldnt notice much difference anyway.
    "Dying 's for fools ... ... Because, because I'm a man." - Charlie Sheen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast