Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Restore/mod BBS RS

Users Country Flag

Wow there is alot of errors here.

Okay, 17" RS were made early days in Germany with the primary production of all RS, these look exactly the same as 16's, 15's etc. but scaled up to 17's (ie. no large lip unlike the ones in Wabits first pic)
    Later on down the track bbs produced larger barrels and lips to fit these older 17" RS, making them 18" (pictured in Wabit's first pic, they 17 centers with 18" OEM barrels/lips.).
    All RS, 14/15/16/17 have different centers, however, you can buy aftermarket OEM lips/barrels to essentially upsize (by 1") some of them from the smaller centers.
    I am not sure what sizes these are available for, but think you can make the following combos:
    15">16"
    16">17"
    17">18" (confirmed)

Now, as for (actual) 18's and 19's, these are called Super RS and have been built later in Japan by BBS.
    These are a totally new wheel only 2 pieces, center is mated to barrel.
    Super RS are still being made by BBS Japan and very very expensive. (thus why it's taking me so long to get mine... )
    Sizes are quite limited and are all 5x114 PCD, a set of 18's will set you back around 5k US and a set of 19's around 8k US.

Now, as to get a bit back ontrack, to the poster, I think you are steering a little off track...
    Making 15's to 16's (99% sure you can do it) but, it will be very expensive and your better off buying another set of actual 16's.
    By the time you buy 4 barrels, 4 lips and four sets of bolts you will be up for more cash then getting a pair of fully genuine 16's and even if you go the upgrade yours will no longer be genuine... (apart from centers).
    I would say either stick with what you got as 15's or sell them (to me and buy some 16's.

Also, you have 15x7 at the moment, which means trying for 8.5 you need 3/4" longer barrels and lips, I think lips will be doable as they make 1/4" increments, but barrels would be damn hard to come by...

Anyway, I hope I haven't missed anything...
    Aaron.
    Last edited by STOIE; 21-04-2010 at 11:40 AM.
    77' MkI Golf GLS - VR6-T Project Compression
    79' MkI Golf GLS - 2L ABF ITB's Wolf3D
    09' MkV Golf R32 - sold

Wow. Nice write up!

I'm really wanting to take these upto 16", if I could find someplace that stocks the step up outers rather than going completely custom I'd rather do that, as for the barrels it shouldn't be a problem, just chroming and lips is what I'm worried about.

how much would a set of rs be in 16x8.5???

Also I've been checking out the stance thread on vortex n
    I've noticed that they're all pretty much dumped up front but slightly higher up the back... None are even. How come?

I've also notice that on the 3 doors when dumped the back wheels sit close to the front of the arch nut only on some of them, what's the story here?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Runtus_Maximus View Post
    .... how much would a set of rs be in 16x8.5???
    Lots, 4x100 16" RS's go for 2KUS, in the US i believe.If you're willing to get adapaters it could work out cheaper, or could work out roughly the same

Also I've been checking out the stance thread on vortex n
    I've noticed that they're all pretty much dumped up front but slightly higher up the back... None are even. How come?
    This is called rake. it's a euro thing. If you get coilovers you can get whatever stance you want. but some of these cars can't be as low in the back, cause they have bigger wheels on the back (hence less clearance)

I've also notice that on the 3 doors when dumped the back wheels sit close to the front of the arch nut only on some of them, what's the story here?!?!
    I'm pretty sure all mk 3's do this. just depends how low you are, the lower you go, the further the wheel sits up in the arch, cause of the way the rear beam is. you can buy some plates from mason tech, to level out how the wheel sits in the arch. they're called 'great plates' i believe, by mason tech

i like volkswagens
    My blog: http://garagefiftythree.blogspot.com.au/

That's called "Rake", mate... And it's what "stance" is. Depending on the look you are going for, you set the front to rear height differently.

APR Tuned | KW Suspension | INA Engineering | Mocal Oil Control |
    Email: chris@tprengineering.com

Ok so I was under the impression stance is wheel toguard car to ground clearance?!? I just like it when they sit level as in ride height and flush rimsto guard. it's how I've had my last few cars.

Users Country Flag
    stance can be anything... its just a phraze you say for a good looking stanced car

dom

yea stance varies with different cars, and different 'looks.' wheels, tyres suspension are the main factor, but there lots of other things that contribute to a car's look and stance. and there are pretty much no 'set' rules, just a whole bunch of things that work, and some that dont I guess.

i like volkswagens
    My blog: http://garagefiftythree.blogspot.com.au/

hey, ive just joined the forums and am refurbing 2 sets of BBS RS 17s. (212 & 198 ) I have a couple of contacts in Germany if you would like good prices/good supply of parts.

has anyone found anyone local here in Oz that might have odd sets of BBS RS wheels (in whatever condition)?
    Last edited by cosworthpower; 24-04-2010 at 08:14 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Try a member called "Intensem1" he always seems to have plenty of BBSs floating around. Nice username btw, mmmmmmm cossie
    2008 VRS Wagon. Yellow, very yellow!
    Forever blowing bubbles.

Users Country Flag

bbs rs wheels x3 for sale

Hi guys,

I have x3 BBS 16" RS 245's for sale...i believe they are 16x8

They were on a 300zx 1990 if that helps.

They also have rubber (Falkens) on them.

If this is of any interest send me a message or give me a call on 04 12 888 425

Cheers,

Adam

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123