Support VWWC

Thread: Replacement Tyres from OEM Continentals

Users Country Flag

Replacement Tyres from OEM Continentals

Hi all,

About 2 years and 20,000km ago I had my original Continental tyres replaced with Bridgestone MY02 by the dealer at a scheduled service (I checked the price was equivalent to going to a reputable Tyre shop).

There is still plenty of tread but after having driven the car recently on wet roads I am absolutely shocked by how little wet weather grip they have.

These tyres are a hazard on wet roads. It is nearly impossible to avoid wheel spin when accelerating from traffic lights and sliding sideways while going around the large roundabouts near the entertainment centre is certainly fun but not at all safe if other traffic is on the road.

Do not get these tyres on your car.

What do you have on your car that you would recommend in the 215/40 R17 fitment.

Someone from the Polo forum is recommending Pilot Sports but in a 215/45/17 fitment for which there is debate as to their legality, anyone have any thoughts on this.

cheers

Michael
    Sword Dude

2011 77 TSI Polo manual Flash Red with Sport Pack
    2014 (MY15) 125 TDI Superb Outdoor 4x4

Users Country Flag
    probably cant go wrong with goodyear or michelin.. maybe dunlop or kumho if in ur size?

Users Country Flag
    It's taken 2 years to realise they are bad in the wet? I know we are in a drought but you are in the "Tropical North".

I assume your tyre pressures are OK? At least 32psi and preferably 34 or 36?

The MY02 is directional. Are the arrows on the side pointing the correct way?

I'd have a look at the build date as maybe they have aged and gone hard. Also, if you just potter around they could be glazed and you might need to do some "spirited driving" to scuff them up.

If none of the above is an option and you want to change...

1) Michelin don't do a tyre in that size.

2) You could go and have a chat to Bridgestone and try and get a pro-rata replacement. I've seen it happen before with Bridgestone. The S001 are available. They are a good tyre but possibly noisy compared to the MY02

3) Go back to Continental. Premium Contact 2 is available in that size.

4) Goodyear F1 Assymetric 3. This would be my pick. Do not get the eagle Directional 5.

Going uo to a 215/45r17 would be 20mm larger in diameter. QLD TMR allows 15mm so you would be illegal. You've also got all the practical aspects of fitting 20mm more tyre into the wheel well and speedometer / odometer calibration.

Given there are 3 good choices available and they are $170 - $210 i wouldn't faff about changing sizes
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice, although it has been about a year since my original post. All 4 tyres are now almost at the limit of legal wear so I will be replacing this month.

Even though the Michelin PS4s get great reviews I can't get over the legality of them (particularly if there is a problem and insurance get involved seeing as my son is soon to be a learner driver). So I will be going to the Continentals or Goodyears as recommended whichever has the better offer on the day.

In answer to Brad though, the Bridgestones tyre pressure was kept at 34psi, arrow is pointing the right way, build date of the tyres per the placard in week 18 2015, so not that old. in relation to the rain though up until 18 months ago the Polo mostly only got driven to the train but I have changed jobs which requires a 75km round trip commute (mostly against traffic so sometimes with a bit of spirit).

Anyway thanks for your advice
    Sword Dude

2011 77 TSI Polo manual Flash Red with Sport Pack
    2014 (MY15) 125 TDI Superb Outdoor 4x4