a 245X45X17 ET +42 on a 8X17 Rims

This being a large community I will be interested in your thoughts

and any recommendation on wheels brands or others
    Golf Mk6 R

Users Country Flag
    Heaps on Farcebook market place in that diameter
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

I have a general question on aftermarket rims and spacers. I’m looking at a set of aftermarket replica wheels which have a larger centrebore than my OEM stock wheels. I’m also wanting to use hub centric spacers on these aftermarket replicas. Question is, can I use hub centric rings in hub centric spacers for these aftermarket replica wheels?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by donweather View Post
    I have a general question on aftermarket rims and spacers. I’m looking at a set of aftermarket replica wheels which have a larger centrebore than my OEM stock wheels. I’m also wanting to use hub centric spacers on these aftermarket replicas. Question is, can I use hub centric rings in hub centric spacers for these aftermarket replica wheels?
    Rings are OK but Spacers are illegal Aussie wide except if fitted from the factory.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by donweather View Post
    Sounds like a complicated and potentially dangerous combination. If you are buying a set of rims, best to just get the correct offset and centre bore from the get go. (or at least get one of them right)

Replica wheels are also often of very poor quality - so beware. They are cheap for a reason.

Apart from being illegal, there is nothing wrong with spacers providing you buy good quality hub centric ones that are designed for your specific car (eg $200+ per pair along with longer bolts) with the correct centre bore and stud pattern etc. I have had good quality spacers on several cars and never had any issues. But I would definitely advise against cheap generic "fits all cars" junk like most of the ebay stuff. Mode Auto concepts have a really good range of good quality spacers and longer bolts. And they also have a good range of aftermarket rims. MODE Auto Concepts

There is nothing wrong with hub centric rings either. Most cars with aftermarket rims from your local Bob Jane etc would have hub centric rings fitted. But putting hub centric rings onto hub centric spacers is just a complicated setup - every time you have the wheels rotated etc you will have to check everything has been put back in place properly.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 03-02-2023 at 04:04 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Rings are OK but Spacers are illegal Aussie wide except if fitted from the factory.
    Thanks. I understand the legals. Was more asking technically if you can use hub centric rings on hub centric spacers.

Thanks Lucas. Appreciate the detailed info.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Sounds like a complicated and potentially dangerous combination. If you are buying a set of rims, best to just get the correct offset and centre bore from the get go. (or at least get one of them right)

Replica wheels are also often of very poor quality - so beware. They are cheap for a reason.

Apart from being illegal, there is nothing wrong with spacers providing you buy good quality hub centric ones that are designed for your specific car (eg $200+ per pair along with longer bolts) with the correct centre bore and stud pattern etc. I have had good quality spacers on several cars and never had any issues. But I would definitely advise against cheap generic "fits all cars" junk like most of the ebay stuff. Mode Auto concepts have a really good range of good quality spacers and longer bolts. And they also have a good range of aftermarket rims. MODE Auto Concepts

There is nothing wrong with hub centric rings either. Most cars with aftermarket rims from your local Bob Jane etc would have hub centric rings fitted. But putting hub centric rings onto hub centric spacers is just a complicated setup - every time you have the wheels rotated etc you will have to check everything has been put back in place properly.
    These are the reps I was looking at. You don't reckon they're good reliable quality? Pretty reliable website (not fleabay)

19x8.5 5612 Black Machined Polished 5/112 P35 | Style By AU | Tempe Tyres
    Last edited by donweather; 04-02-2023 at 12:42 PM.

Another question. If I use 5mm pass through spacers, how much hub needs to still be protruding for the rims to sit on? How do you work this out without having the aftermarket rep rims?

MODE PlusTrack Wheel Spacer Kit 5mm for VW & Audi MQB A1 S1 A3 S3 RS3 / Q2 Q3 RS Q3 / TT TT S TT RS inc. CUPRA & Skoda - CB 57.1 | MODE Auto Concepts

Edit, why can't I use a spacer with wheel hub centrebore of 57.1mm and wheel centrebore of 66.6mm similar to this? That way avoid the use of hub centric rings?

EMD Auto 10mm Wheel Adapter Spacer Pair - 5x112 57.1 to 66.56 Center B
    Last edited by donweather; 04-02-2023 at 01:04 PM.

Users Country Flag

The hub is what supports the wheel in place (the wheel bolts simply hold the wheel firmly onto the hub) and takes the weight of the car. So the hub is important. You will probably want to remove your wheels and measure how much the hub protrudes currently, and if that will allow you to fit 5mm spacers and still have enough meat there to do its job.

I still recon you should find another set of wheels that are 1) better quality and 2) the right offset so you dont have to stuff around with spacers. Ive only ever used spacers on stock rims to push them out to fill out the guards better, but if buying aftermarket wheels you would be crazy to not just buy the correct offset to begin with.

In saying that, I have used 5mm spacers with a pass-through-hub design on a Mazda 3 a few years back and they worked fine in that instance.

If you do end up buying anything from Mode Auto Concepts use the code MODEMATES for 5% off. They sent me a card with this discount code on it for something I bought recently.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 07-02-2023 at 10:13 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler