Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R36 Koni Yellows + H&R Springs or other options?

Users Country Flag

R36 Koni Yellows + H&R Springs or other options?

Hey team,

Matt back at it again with the R36.

My suspension needs a total overhaul, so I'm just going to dive into it. I frequently hit the bumpstops and can hear it creak occasionally as well as a very average ride and lots of interior noises due to the harsh ride.

I don't want anything insanely stiff (Have my B5 A4 Quattro with coilovers already) but I'd like something a bit sportier/firmer then stock.

I've heard on other forums (and here?) that the stock suspension is rubbish, so I don't really consider that an option (I was quoted around $900ish in parts from Repco for OEM quality shocks only).

I don't want to really drop the height much/if at all, with 19x9's the stock height is pretty much perfect.

I was thinking Bilstein B8's with the stock springs, as this seems to be a good go-to and the price isn't insane since the stock springs will be re-used.

However I was offered Koni Yellows (used) for around 10k km on them for a good price which seems to be a good idea for me. However I'd prefer some feedback on these on an R36 if anyone has them and what springs you have.

I have the opportunity to buy some H&R Lowering springs cheap as well (used for less then 10k km) so I think this may be a good spot to go with. Does anyone else have H&R Lowering springs at all?

I've previously gone with coilovers in the past, but I've just "set and forget" to a similar drop to what the H&R's did so coilovers aren't really beneficial to me anymore.

Users Country Flag
    No experience with an R36, but ive used Koni Yellow struts on various cars (Nissan 200sx and Mk6 Golf GTI) over the years and they are great - no complaints from me.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    No experience with an R36, but ive used Koni Yellow struts on various cars (Nissan 200sx and Mk6 Golf GTI) over the years and they are great - no complaints from me.
    Yeah I have a friend with Koni Yellows in his 300ZX and I got the same feedback.

Did you use stock springs or lowered springs? As to my knowledge these are shortened shocks.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt86 View Post
    Yeah I have a friend with Koni Yellows in his 300ZX and I got the same feedback.

Did you use stock springs or lowered springs? As to my knowledge these are shortened shocks.
    They are designed to be used with lowered springs as mentioned here. In both my applications I used them with lowered springs.

In saying that, the R36 suspesnion is likely classified as being lowered already compared to a normal Passat.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag
    Some pics of the Koni's I used on my Mk6 GTI

2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Some pics of the Koni's I used on my Mk6 GTI

Cheers!

They look good, i reckon I'll go with them.

I'll probably go with the H&R lowering springs too, which drops it 30mm but the R36 is 20mm lower then the standard Passat so it's pretty close to standard?

Users Country Flag
    Cheers!

They look good, i reckon I'll go with them.

I'll probably go with the H&R lowering springs too, which drops it 30mm but the R36 is 20mm lower then the standard Passat so it's pretty close to standard?
    Cant go wrong with H&R springs. Quality product. I had H&R springs on my Golf R (but mated with stock shocks) and they rode nicely.

Best price I could find was $550 Quality lowering springs made in Germany by H&R – MODE Auto Concepts
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Cant go wrong with H&R springs. Quality product. I had H&R springs on my Golf R (but mated with stock shocks) and they rode nicely.

Best price I could find was $550 Quality lowering springs made in Germany by H&R – MODE Auto Concepts
    I found some used from a mate. Sub 10k on them as he changed to coilovers in the end. So that works out nicely if he does sell.

He has a Sedan, but they're for a wagon apparently. I'm in luck.

As of tomorrow I'll have the Koni Yellows and the H&R's for a really nice price.
    Last edited by Matt86; 27-05-2020 at 10:16 PM.

Users Country Flag
    I found some used from a mate. Sub 10k on them as he changed to coilovers in the end. So that works out nicely if he does sell.

He has a Sedan, but they're for a wagon apparently. I'm in luck.

As of tomorrow I'll have the Koni Yellows and the H&R's for a really nice price.
    Nice - throw up a pic once they are installed.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Nice - throw up a pic once they are installed.
    Will do! It'll probably be a few weeks out. I'm also in the middle of getting ready for my timing chain too. So it may need to wait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast