Support VWWC

Thread: Questions about a bora

Questions about a bora

Hey guys I've recently bought a 2000 bora 2.0 and I was wanting to upgrade it a bit namely lowering and wheels.
    First for wheels would 17's or 18's look better? And what tyres would I need so I don't affect the speedo too much?
    And for suspension as it's a daily driver and I will likely have up to 4 friends a lot of the time when I get my p's, should I get lowering springs or coilovers?
    Thanks in advance, Mac
    2014 Golf GTI PP - Pure White

lower before wheels if you are going to head down the coilover path IMO.
    i prefer 18s, but lots of OEM wheels came in 17s so depends what look you are after.
    for a normal fitting 17 from factory they had 225/45s, but 235/45/17s are apparently cheaper and will correct your speedo slightly
    for a normal fitting 18s 225/40 or maybe 235/40 (235/40 will correct your speedo slightly)
    rubbing with 4 friends will not only depend on how low you are, but widths of wheels/offsets/tyre size will make a difference.

Thanks heaps and I think the wheels will most likely be 18x8 rs4 reps, not sure on the offset that they come in yet nut that helps heaps, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie28 View Post
    Thanks heaps and I think the wheels will most likely be 18x8 rs4 reps, not sure on the offset that they come in yet nut that helps heaps, thanks
    generally they will come in et35 and et45 from what i have seen. if these are the options go the et35, will look better and you will have less problems if you go coilover low

Quote Originally Posted by dylan8 View Post
    generally they will come in et35 and et45 from what i have seen. if these are the options go the et35, will look better and you will have less problems if you go coilover low
    Thanks heaps again your really making this easy

no worries. Just trying to save you some pain i went though
    post some pics up when your done

one last question what tyres would you suggest in the 225/40 or 235/40? due to still being at school i would prefer some cheaper suggestions please

id personally say 225/40, itll give you a nice straight side wall and itll be closer to original size. the 235/40 will have a little bulge and SLIGHTLY bigger. depends how much cheaper really. dads passat has the 235s, and a lot of cars like 'commondoors' have them, i believe making them cheaper.
    if no price difference 225/40, big price saving maybe look at the 235/40. thats what id do anyway.
    there was discussion in the mk4 section about people running 235s on the boras, maybe look at that..

ok thanks heaps will investigate

Hi again guys i'm having trouble finding some RS4 reps in australia in 5x100 for my bora, so it looks like they might have to come from the UK or US. I was just wondering if you guys had any suggestions because Tempe Tyres no longer stocks the RS4 reps in 5x100.
    Thanks, Mac