Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No more physical TPMS sensors on newer VWs?

No more physical TPMS sensors on newer VWs?

Hey! Forgive my newbie status as I explore my way around a modern VW Golf on The Internet.

Is it true that modern ~2011+-era VWs don't have physical TPMS sensors anymore? And that the tyre pressure system is really a reading of rotational changes from other sensors in the brakes?

Users Country Flag
    Yes

Why need something on the tyre when you can just measure relative rotation?
    2006 MkV 2.0TDI -> 2005 MkV GTI -> 2008 MkV R32 -> 2013 Polo 77TSI + 2016 Mk7 Golf R Wagon

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by shauno View Post
    Yes
    So if you change rims the TPMS will still monitor and not go into a fault?

Users Country Flag
    Yup, no sensor on the rims.
    2006 MkV 2.0TDI -> 2005 MkV GTI -> 2008 MkV R32 -> 2013 Polo 77TSI + 2016 Mk7 Golf R Wagon

Thanks all. Saves me tryna figure out whether I need to but a second set for the spare wheels!

Users Country Flag
    Not necessarily relating to 'newer' VWs. My 2007 Jetta is relative rotation.
    Richard
    2007 Black Jetta 103TDI Manual, 18s, body kit + rear spoiler
    2001 Landcruiser FZJ105 Manual - The petrol guzzler!

Users Country Flag
    Mk5 Golf (etc, etc) 2005+ had it via ABS sensors, not sure if the Mk4 or anything earlier had it...

Users Country Flag
    I've read that you can turn on TPMS vis VCDS even if you don't have the reset button in the glove box. Of course you then need VCDS to rest any error lights. I keep meaning to turn it on but never quite get around to it.

You can also just buy the button and retro fit it.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag
    in-direct and direct TPMS have been around for more than a decade in VAG cars - nothing new, or old about them.
    and it still continues.....
    MY17 Superb 162TSI, Business Grey, Tech+Comfort Pack, APR ECU+TCU Stg 1, SLA, Rieger Splitter + Side Skirts, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Hardrace Swaybar, TPMS

Users Country Flag

Doesn't matter if you fit much bigger tyres or way smaller, the tyre pressure monitoring will work aok. Its not the number of pulses per revolution that matters. There's not a fixed number of pulses per standard tyre/wheel package revolution, its the differential between the pulses counts that matter. eg If one tyres counts get out of step with the others. Your spare just needs to be the same rolling diameter as the others and you're good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast