Support VWWC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No more physical TPMS sensors on newer VWs?

Users Country Flag

These two styles of tyre pressure monitoring. Wheel-mounted pressure sensors are still used, but mainly on higher-specification vehicles. Those systems will allow the actual current pressure in the tyre to be displayed. The common system used in the majority of vow uses the abs wheel speed sensors to detect rotation speed differences - basically, deflecting deflation, or a reduction in pressure.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by doc_777 View Post
    These two styles of tyre pressure monitoring. Wheel-mounted pressure sensors are still used, but mainly on higher-specification vehicles. Those systems will allow the actual current pressure in the tyre to be displayed. The common system used in the majority of vow uses the abs wheel speed sensors to detect rotation speed differences - basically, deflecting deflation, or a reduction in pressure.
    hi Doc,

my B7 passat alltrack had the little metal silver air caps on the 18" canyon wheels. are these part of the pressure reading style setup?

new B8 has standard plastic caps, but i still have the old car so wondering if i should swap them over if its still compatible.

Users Country Flag
    The valve stem caps have nothing to do with the TPMS - they’re just a cap.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by doc_777 View Post
    The valve stem caps have nothing to do with the TPMS - they’re just a cap.
    Well there you go, when I got the B7 someone told me that these were part of the TPMS. so I was always careful never to leave them off too long so I didn’t lose them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    My 2007 Jetta's TPMS worked for me over Christmas/New Year. On Christmas day, I was heading up the freeway from Sydney to Newcastle, when the light and chime came on. I pulled over, and wandered around the car, and didn't see anything obvious, so I reset it and continued on. A few days later, the same came on, so I checked again and didn't see anything obvious and reset again. The third time I was able to pull into a servo, where I could see that the right rear was a bit low. I put it on the pump, and it was about 22psi when I like the tyres at 38. I also then saw the nail that was in the tyre. I got the tyre repaired and all is good now. So, for a very slow leak, the tyre pressure monitoring works an absolute treat! I am very impressed with the system.
    Richard
    2007 Black Jetta 103TDI Manual, 18s, body kit + rear spoiler
    2001 Landcruiser FZJ105 Manual - The petrol guzzler!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheezel View Post
    My 2007 Jetta's TPMS worked for me over Christmas/New Year. On Christmas day, I was heading up the freeway from Sydney to Newcastle, when the light and chime came on. I pulled over, and wandered around the car, and didn't see anything obvious, so I reset it and continued on. A few days later, the same came on, so I checked again and didn't see anything obvious and reset again. The third time I was able to pull into a servo, where I could see that the right rear was a bit low. I put it on the pump, and it was about 22psi when I like the tyres at 38. I also then saw the nail that was in the tyre. I got the tyre repaired and all is good now. So, for a very slow leak, the tyre pressure monitoring works an absolute treat! I am very impressed with the system.
    Exact same situation here. First time warning came up I done the visual check, then warning come on the next day where I checked the pressure (which was just down a minimum amount), third time warning came on, again pressure check was down more and this is where I found a worn off nail hiding in the tyre tread.

Great system.
    Flipper Dog
    Now - T-Roc 140TSI, Audi Q5 40TDI
    Past VWs- Golf 6, 7 and 7.5, Touareg 7L and 7P, Passat B5.5, Polo MK3, Polo MK4 and GTI

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12