Thread: New Tyres for MKV GTI - Kumho PS91 or Dragon Sport or PZero

New Tyres for MKV GTI - Kumho PS91 or Dragon Sport or PZero

Hi guys

Destroyed one of my tyres on the way into the city and now I'm looking at replacing all 4 hours. I'm on somewhat of a budget, and have nailed my options down to the above OR Pzeros.

Bob Jane is willing to do $625 for PS91
    Tyroola will set me back $650 for Dragon Sport and $736 for PZeros.

I'm currently running on PZero's and the wear on them I find is pretty poor (it may be my driving), so I'm unsure if its worth the extra dough.

Would a Wheel Allignment be recommended?

What size tyre?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    MY07 Red GTI 3 Door

Users Country Flag
    PZero's are very soft and yes they grip well but wear poorly and are probably overkill for a street driven GTI.

I would also have a look at Falken Azenis FK510, i recently purchased a set of these for my car after reading multiple reviews and they are well priced and perform really well.

The Hankook PS91's are rated pretty decently too.

Also have a squizz at Bridgestone Potenza RE003. They have a cool tread pattern and are priced similarly to the PS91's.

And Hankook S1 Evo2's are pretty good.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    A lot of people recommend the Michelin Pilot Sport tyres.

Most places recommend a wheel alignment every 10-15k so you should definitely do that.
    Sword Dude

2011 77 TSI Polo manual Flash Red with Sport Pack
    2014 (MY15) 125 TDI Superb Outdoor 4x4

I've been using Bridgestone potenza re003 for some time and highly recommend them. Bridgestone regularly have buy 3 the 4th free offers which makes them hard to beat.

The isn't on now unfortunately...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I did take the plunge and called Bob Jane to try order in the PS91. Unfortunately, they ran out of stock overnight. Decided to go against the Dragon Sport, just didn't have a good vibe after reading reviews. They had Hankook Prime 2 for $165 a corner, OK to mediocre reviews from what I can see.

Was about to order in the PZero PZ4 which apparently is an improved revision to my current tyres, harder compound, stiffer side walls. Decided to give the local tyre shop a call and ended up placing an order for some Michelin PS4. $190 per corner (225/40r1 including a "tyre care pack", meaning they will be rotating my tyres later down the track for free. Alignment will cost $55, still deciding on that.

I have the re003 on the R36 right now, and they do feel good - haven't missed a beat. Unfortunately as you mentioned they don't have the 3 for 4 promotion, hard justifying full price on 4. Running with a space spacer at the back, and pretty bald fronts are pretty daunting - feels like I'm riding a rollercoaster.
    Last edited by pandas; 25-07-2019 at 06:27 PM.

From what I've heard the Michelin PS4 are pretty good, everybody seems to rave about them so if you got them for a good price you should be happy

Quote Originally Posted by adey88 View Post
    From what I've heard the Michelin PS4 are pretty good, everybody seems to rave about them so if you got them for a good price you should be happy

$5 more than the PZero per corner, at least I know I'm supporting a local business plus I get the free rotations later down the track which works out. Happy but the wallet is absolutely burning being slapped with rego, insurance, and major service for the 36.

annnnnnnd the potenza's go on sale after i get my tyres fitted today.

Ouch, that really sucks man!

Hopefully you are happy with your purchase