Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with choosing tyres - MY12.5 Polo GTI

Users Country Flag

Help with choosing tyres - MY12.5 Polo GTI

Hi guys,

It's time to buy my pocket rocket a new set of shoes, but since I don't know a lot about that rubbery goodness I thought I'll ask you guys for some advice

I only drive it around suburbia, some freeway driving included - no track. My priorities are:
    • Low wear
    • Good grip
    • Low noise

I know you can't have top scores on all of the above, so I'm looking for a good compromise. I have come up with 3 options so far, what do you guys think?
    1. Dunlop SP Sport Maxx (stock tyre)
    2. Falken Azenis FK453
    3. Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08R

Size: 215/40/R17 (stock wheels)

Also, where can I get them cheap? I googled around a bit, but tyresales.com.au for example doesn't list all the tyres in my size even though they are available according to the manufacturer's website.

Thanks in advance!
    VW Polo GTI ~~ MY12.5 ~~ Flash Red ~~ Bi-Xenon ~~ Alcantara/Leatherette

Users Country Flag
    I think those 3 are all highly skewed towards the 2nd criteria (particularly the last which is an "everyday" semi-slick).

If the actual order is also is the order of importance, I think you should be looking at a more "touring" oriented tyre (Michelin Premacy, Bridgestone Turanza etc)
    Last edited by kaanage; 24-02-2015 at 12:09 PM. Reason: comment about Neova
    Resident grumpy old fart
    VW - Metallic Paint, Radial Tyres, Laminated Windscreen, Electric Windows, VW Alloy Wheels, Variable Geometry Exhaust Driven Supercharger, Direct Unit Fuel Injection, Adiabatic Ignition, MacPherson Struts front, Torsion Beam rear, Coil Springs, Hydraulic Dampers, Front Anti-Roll Bar, Disc Brakes, Bosch ECU, ABS

Users Country Flag
    I'm not sure what you classify as low wear. Have the Dunlops not lasted well?

Of your choices:
    1) Dunlop. I don't like them so my opinion is biased.
    2) They look OK - would probably suit your criteria
    3) Great grip but they are a semi-slick / track day type tyre

Others to consider:
    toyo Proxes4 (I know nothing about them)
    goodyear eagle F1 directional 5 (ditto)
    bridgestone S001 - this is what I would buy given the limited choice in the size.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Sorry guys for the late response, and thanks for the input.

Would a touring tyre be good on a sporty GTI? I do want low wear but not at the expense of reasonably good grip. Looks like the Yokohama Neovas are probably out then. The stock Dunlop SP Sport Maxx lasted me almost 40,000 km - I think that's pretty good, what do you think?

@brad: why would you buy the Bridgestones? Curious to know.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by mathemagician View Post
    @brad: why would you buy the Bridgestones? Curious to know.
    Bridgestone generally make good tyres.

I have friends who's opinion I trust that have used S001 on their cars and they've been very happy with them.

I've driven a few cars with S001 and they've been totally acceptable for the way I drive.

I currently have RE050A on my car and think they are good & Bridgestone propaganda says the S001 is a better tyre.

Bridgestone are doing a "buy 3 get the 4th free" deal at the moment.

The other option might be the RE002 Adrenalin but I think the S001 is worth the extra spend.

Lets face it, you have to live with them for 2-3 years.
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Thanks, will definitely take a look at the S001 then, especially with that 3 + 1 free special Any idea what mileage your friends got out of them?

Users Country Flag
    Anywhere between 14k & 45k but it's an irrelevant figure.

The vehicles weighed anywhere from 1100kg t0 2000kg.
    The power ranged between 120kw to 350kw
    The torque ranged between 200nm to 450nm
    Some were lead foots & some weren't.
    Some drove around the city all the time, some did lots of highway mileage.

Do a cross-roatation of the tyres every 10,000km & keep the pressures right & I'm sure you'll get another 30k-40k.

What part of Austria are you from? My FIL comes from Weiz.

Cheers, brad! I am from Klagenfurt, that's in the south - near Italy and Slovenia.

Alright, phoned a few places in Ringwood. All quotes include fitting and balancing of the new tyres and disposal of the old ones.

4x Dunlop SP Sport Maxx:
    $836 @ Kmart Tyre and Auto Service

4x Bridgestone Potenza S001:
    $900 @ Bob Jane T Mart

One more thing: the Dunlops were not the quietest tyres but also not that loud. How is the road noise with the Bridgestones? Kinda leaning towards them unless they're very loud.

Users Country Flag
    I don't recall what the noise was like and the only Sport Maxx I've driven on were half worn & sawtoothing so they were noisy.

I think the EU measure db in their tyre ratings now - maybe look there? Do some googling as Auto Bild, etc do a lot of tyre tests.

Also, try Jax for pricing.

I've been to Klagenfurt - beautiful area. Went to Minimundus on our first trip in '88. On a subsequent trip we went to Worthersee sailboarding (or maybe that was Lake Garda in Italy) - I know we went swimming.

Will have a google then, no worries. Also enquired with Jax Quickfit (Bayswater North) through their website, let's see what prices they come back with!

You've been to Klagenfurt? Wow, normally people only know Vienna, Salzburg and maybe Innsbruck. Minimundus is pretty cool and Woerthersee sure is beautiful, and rather large with its 16 km length. Klagenfurt is at the eastern end of it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast