I tend to run 38~40 PSI
    Over 40 becomes rather harsh
    Less than 38 decreases turn in feel

I'm actually using the UTQG rating from USA
    That's a prescribed/independant test so it's somewhat useful

The Bridgestone RE050 have a 140 UTQG rating
    I got 45,000km out them on a Mazda3 SP23
    They have great grip, turn in and braking - and last very well
    When it's wet, you need to get some heat into them before pushing hard (into corners and braking)
    But you will find they exaggerate axle tramp on most FWD cars (not the fault of the tyre, shows grip)
    2012.1 Skoda Octavia VRS DSG Wagon - Carbonio cold air intake and pipe - HPA Motorsports BBK 355mm rotors 6 pot calipers
    APR Stage II ECU - APR 3" exhaust down pipe & high flow catalyst
    APR/HP Roll bars - Eibach springs and Bilstien shocks
    Supaloy lower control arms - Enkei 18*8 Wheels

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I tend to run 38~40 PSI
    Over 40 becomes rather harsh
    Less than 38 decreases turn in feel
    i thought you'd be up there somewhere. I was going to suggest that you run 34-36psi. It will help with hook-up but as you have already implied, there are trade-offs

I'm actually using the UTQG rating from USA
    That's a prescribed/independant test so it's somewhat useful
    It's a standard test but it isn't independant. It's actually done by the tyre manufacturer or their hired testers.

Read this with my selected BOLDing:
    The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Uniform Tire Quality Grade Standards (UTQG) were originated to provide consumers with useful information to help them purchase tires based on their relative treadwear, traction and temperature capabilities. While it is required by law for most passenger car tires sold in the United States, it is not required for deep treaded light truck tires, winter/snow tires, temporary spare tires, trailer tires, tires under 12” in diameter and other select tires.

When looking at UTQG ratings it is important to realize that the Department of Transportation does not conduct the tests. The grades are assigned by the tire manufacturers based on their test results or those conducted by an independent testing company they have hired. The NHTSA has the right to inspect the tire manufacturer's data and can fine them if inconsistencies are found. While most new tire lines have their grades established when they are introduced, they are allowed a 6-month grace period to allow the tire manufacturer to test actual production tires. Once a grade is assigned it must be branded on the tire's upper sidewall and printed on its label.

Unfortunately, the rating that is of the most interest to consumers is the one that appears to be the least consistent. While the Treadwear Grade was originally intended to be assigned purely scientifically, it has also become a marketing tool used by manufacturers to help position and promote their tires.

Treadwear Grades

UTQG Treadwear Grades are based on actual road use in which the test tire is run in a vehicle convoy along with standardized Course Monitoring Tires. The vehicle repeatedly runs a prescribed 400-mile test loop in West Texas for a total of 7,200 miles. The vehicle can have its alignment set, air pressure checked and tires rotated every 800 miles. The test tire's and the Monitoring Tire's wear are measured during and at the conclusion of the test. The tire manufacturers then assign a Treadwear Grade based on the observed wear rates. The Course Monitoring Tire is assigned a grade and the test tire receives a grade indicating its relative treadwear. A grade of 100 would indicate that the tire tread would last as long as the test tire, 200 would indicate the tread would last twice as long, 300 would indicate three times as long, etc.

The problem with UTQG Treadwear Grades is that they are open to some interpretation on the part of the tire manufacturer because they are assigned after the tire has only experienced a little treadwear as it runs the 7,200 miles. This means that the tire manufacturers need to extrapolate their raw wear data when they are assigning Treadwear Grades, and that their grades can to some extent reflect how conservative or optimistic their marketing department is. Typically, comparing the Treadwear Grades of tire lines within a single brand is somewhat helpful, while attempting to compare the grades between different brands is not as helpful.

The Bridgestone RE050 have a 140 UTQG rating
    I got 45,000km out them on a Mazda3 SP23
    They have great grip, turn in and braking - and last very well
    When it's wet, you need to get some heat into them before pushing hard (into corners and braking)
    But you will find they exaggerate axle tramp on most FWD cars (not the fault of the tyre, shows grip)
    I'll keep that in mind when they are finally on the vehicle.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Good points, thanking you...

My Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres were delivered today
    Three observations looking at them:
    • The outside shoulder is awesome - turn in should fell good!
    • Not as much rim protection as the Michelin PS3 and Goodyear Eagle F1 A2
    • They are unlikely to solve my standing start acceleration problem as they just don't have enough rubber in contact with the road (certainly a fair bit less than the Goodyear Eagle F1 A2), they have massive water channels, high speed in a massive down poor should be no problem at all however

So - looks like I need to try the Nitto NT05 Semi Slicks!
    2012.1 Skoda Octavia VRS DSG Wagon - Carbonio cold air intake and pipe - HPA Motorsports BBK 355mm rotors 6 pot calipers

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    My Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres were delivered today
    • They are unlikely to solve my standing start acceleration problem as they just don't have enough rubber in contact with the road (certainly a fair bit less than the Goodyear Eagle F1 A2), they have massive water channels, high speed in a massive down poor should be no problem at all however

So - looks like I need to try the Nitto NT05 Semi Slicks!
    How much did you get them for?

I paid $340 each including freight

As it's been really wet in Sydney for ~4 days now,
    I can comment on the wet weather performance of the Goodyear Eagle F1 A2
    In the wet they are in fact better than the Michelin PS3's! They simply have more grip...

When I initially fitted the Goodyear Eagle F1 A2 I Was disappointed and felt the Michelin PS3 was better in the dry
    Since then, the tyres have been scrubbed and I've increased the negative camber to -1.45 degrees
    I now feel the Goodyear Eagle F1 A2 are better than the Michelin PS3 in both the dry and wet
    The dry turn in feel and sure footed manner inspires a lot of confidence
    On the track, if you turn in at a road speed that's simply too high, they complain (squeal) but they still turn in without giving you the nasty FWD sledging effect - I was impressed
    There has been a few times on the road when I've entered turns at an enthusiastic speed but due to circumstances had to bail out and brake firmly, I'm surprised how much turning and braking I can do at the same time
    (Again, remember I have more negative camber and it's proving beneficial)

Users Country Flag
    [QUOTE=Martin;964966]My Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres were delivered today

You will not be disappointed with them, I find they hold the road really well on my 'R', cornering is tremendous.

Just found this
    https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/178977

seems to be a very good deal even with postage
    His: Golf6 5door GTI DSG Carbon Sunroof MDI and 18" Drag rims + sticker that gives extra horse power
    Hers: Skoda Kodiaq Tech/Lux pack and sunroof

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234