Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY: Painting Your Wheels...

Users Country Flag

Wouldn't you have to apply primer? What type would one use?

Users Country Flag
    Done two of my rims

Not bad for a first attempt, they're not perfect by any means, but I polished em up good!

Warning the polishing can take up to 2 hours a rim, no joke!

Two more to go!

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceVR6 View Post
    This looks like fun. I might put the VR6 up on blocks and paint up my rims. And whats a second coat of paint if i dont like black? they need painting anyway.
    DONE!!!!
    On wednesday i bit the bullet, went to autobarn with my $25 gift voucher, and $10 in change, bought 2 cans of polyeurithane gloss black wheel paint, a sheet of 1000 grit paper, and a tin of prepsol, (And got change from all that too! w00t 20% sales!) Went to my mates place, who has some painting experiance, and went nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by benissatan View Post
    just a question i know this thread is a old one, reckon i could do this without taking the tyres off? im sure it will still work? im not bothered that much about the insides??
    I painted my rims without striping the tyres, and without masking them, so it can be done. And i did not get any paint on the tyre, and no part of the rim is unpainted.
    They look fantastic, and i got much love on friday night while out cruising!

Pics soon!

I'll also put up the pics of when my car fell off the stands and we had to dig the jack out from under the front of the car! No damage done.

you painted your wheels without removing the tyre and completely covered the rim with out getting paint on the tyre?! Impossible!!

oh and the jack = ouch..

i like volkswagens
    My blog: http://garagefiftythree.blogspot.com.au/

Users Country Flag
    I didn't take the tyres off the rims... check out the green 'boy racer' esque mk3 at the sydney cruise section to see how it turned out.. pretty good if you ask me.

Just tape the barstards up though, I used alot of it lol. I sanded it back with 220 paper, cleaned it like 100 times with turps, painted two coats of black and then two coats of clear, then spent like 1 1/2 hours on each rim polishing back the clear.

did yod deflate the tyres at all? as to make sure you really get under the rim to paint it?

From memory yours looks good, but I was more concerned about sciences saying he didn't mask up!!

i like volkswagens
    My blog: http://garagefiftythree.blogspot.com.au/

Users Country Flag
    Lol... oh dear, I got a spot of primer on my tire and it hasn't come off in a 3 weeks!

Hmnn I didn't actually, only because I've got 205 tires on a 7 inch rim. So there is some spread on the wheels, thats how I got the tape on. Otherwise yes I would deflate the tires, that is a very good idea jarred .

I hope science's wheels turned out ok...

I was a detailer from way back, i had to paint steel rims while they where on the car! and that was with less preperation, so i got pretty good at it.

Users Country Flag
    Skills... Very good.

I had a bit of oeverspray on mine, but thankfully the tape was there. What colour did you use? Midnight/gloss black pj 0080? or something close, thats what I used on mine and the trimmings. Post up a pic, and show us amateurs how its done

Quote Originally Posted by Golf Houso View Post
    Skills... Very good.

I had a bit of oeverspray on mine, but thankfully the tape was there. What colour did you use? Midnight/gloss black pj 0080? or something close, thats what I used on mine and the trimmings. Post up a pic, and show us amateurs how its done
    It was VHT polyeurothane gloss black wheel paint. its only availible in a coulpe of major colors, and satin or gloss black.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast