Support VWWC

Thread: Dirty Wheels

Users Country Flag

Unhappy Dirty Wheels

Hello everyone,

This is probably a silly question but is it usual to have extremely dirty wheels after a week?

It seems as though every weekend I am cleaning my rims because they are almost a charcoal colour (originally light silver). Today whilst cleaning them, I wondered if it was normal to have such dirty wheels on a regular basis as I only drive on roads and don't even drive that much.

The front wheels are the worst and the bucket of water needs changing after each, the back wheels aren't as bad but still need a clean. It is a diesel so I though this could be why but they get so dirty very quickly.

Once again, you probably think I'm an idiot for asking but I've never had a diesel before so I really don't know.

Thanks in advance,

Chelsea

2009 2.0 TDI Pacific Golf Comfortline
    1968 1500 German Beetle
    1964 1600 twin port Deluxe Beetle

Users Country Flag
    It's due to the pad material used in VAG vehicles.. When you pads are due for replacement you can ask your local mechanic to use a pad with a lower dust material.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Ok. Thanks!

I'll be waiting a while because she just got new brakes. I didn't know that option was available.
    Last edited by Chulkea; 30-03-2014 at 08:38 PM.

2009 2.0 TDI Pacific Golf Comfortline
    1968 1500 German Beetle
    1964 1600 twin port Deluxe Beetle

Original equipment (OE) brake pads and discs on modern European vehicles are designed to offer good braking performance at high vehicle speeds and good pedal feel. However, this comes at the cost of increased wear rates, as evidenced by the rate at which the wheels become soiled with pad and rotor material.

As with almost every passenger vehicle, the front brakes do most of the work due to weight transfer under braking, so the front brakes will wear faster. Thus, the front wheels tend to become soiled quicker than the rear wheels.

Ceramic brake pads can offer better resistance to wear and the material they shed is less noticeable, as it's lighter in colour. When the vehicle needs new brake pads again, you might want to check out some of the aftermarket ceramic options from Akebono, ATE, Hawk, Textar and others.

Users Country Flag
    ATE Ceramic pads from HSY - best thing i ever did

Quote Originally Posted by Jmslwthr View Post
    ATE Ceramic pads from HSY - best thing i ever did
    how do they go on squeeling?

i'll check the levels of my current pads and rotors at the next service and if they need the change I have been told this brand is great value for performance. lower dust. longer rotor life.