Support VWWC

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: CHINESE TYRES vs BRAND NAME

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by amunra View Post
    that would be because they are KF550 not FF550, mr spelling police.
    hardy har very funny

I looked on Tyresales and there were some Winruns (R330) but no Kinforest.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by miicah View Post
    hardy har very funny

It probably got missed as it looks like we were typing at the same time, so I'll repeat it here.

They are listed on the tyroola site too, but I did the transaction through the suprecheapauto site.
    KINFOREST KF 550 225/45R17 94W Supercheap Auto
    '90 Mk I Cabriolet 1.8L - My toy... err... Daily driver... - Replaced with ‘93 Mk1 Cabriolet 1.8L <- Soon to be mine...
    '99 Mk IV Bora V5 <-- RIP - Replaced with ’10 Tiguan 147kw <-- Wife's Daily Driver
    '05 Volvo T5 S60 - 2.5L Turbo AWD Replaced with '09 Ford LV Focus Sedan <-- Used by the kids

'07 Eos 2.0 TFSI - Project Eos...

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by miicah View Post
    hardy har very funny

I could not get any of the Kinforest quickly

Need them asap as i have a nackered tyre that is cut open so had to get the winrun r330 getting fitted tomorrow will let everyone know how they go over time

Good price tho 480$ with a wheel alignment! for 235/35/19
    2017 Golf Alltrack 135tdi All options
    19 inch Brescia Wheels Golf R brakes front and rear
    Calipers painted Candy apple gold
    New rear sway bar and linkages

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Kachingg View Post
    I could not get any of the Kinforest quickly

Need them asap as i have a nackered tyre that is cut open so had to get the winrun r330 getting fitted tomorrow will let everyone know how they go over time

Good price tho 480$ with a wheel alignment! for 235/35/19
    Haven't you spent "lots" on your car and now putting WinRun on?

/shakes head. I just don't get it.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Haven't you spent "lots" on your car and now putting WinRun on?

/shakes head. I just don't get it.
    I must agree - i dont get it either. I just bought new tyres for my car and although i couldnt justify Michelin PS4 pricing ($400+) or Continentals ($400+) in the size i needed, i researched and got a well rated tyre which was priced much more reasonably (Falken Azenis FK510). These are made in Japan and have rated well in both local and overseas tyre tests. For $256 each i couldn't argue.

I know we are all different, but personally i couldn't put a cheap Chinese tyre on a nice new car. In fact, even if i had an older car without modern safety features i would still put something better on.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    I must agree - i dont get it either. I just bought new tyres for my car and although i couldnt justify Michelin PS4 pricing ($400+) or Continentals ($400+) in the size i needed, i researched and got a well rated tyre which was priced much more reasonably (Falken Azenis FK510). These are made in Japan and have rated well in both local and overseas tyre tests. For $256 each i couldn't argue.

I know we are all different, but personally i couldn't put a cheap Chinese tyre on a nice new car. In fact, even if i had an older car without modern safety features i would still put something better on.
    FK510 aren't bad. Quite an old tyre. A mate with an HSV Clubsport has run them for years and was always happy. He recently switched to PS4 and conceded they were noticeably better.

It's not so much the "chinese tyre" thing but making the leap into the unknown on a good car that has upgraded brakes. You can have the best brakes in the world but if the tyres aren't great then all that will happen is the ABS will cut in all the time.

The Corolla hire car I had in NZ recently had Sportiva Performance. They were quite good and very confidence inspiring in the wet. I'm not sure if they are available here.
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag

Users Country Flag
    Different worlds Lucas, some get it and some.. well don't.

--- FS: 2016 Golf GTI 40 years, white, DSG, 18,xxxkm -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Audi SQ5 | 2016 Golf GTI CS + OZ UL HLTs | Retired: 2018 Audi RS3 sportback + OZ Leggera HLTs
    2017 Golf R Wolfsburg Sportwagen | 2016 BMW 340i + M-Performance tune/exhaust | 2015 Audi S3 sedan
    2014 Golf GTI + OZ Leggera HLTs | 2012 Polo 77TSI (hers) | 2010 Golf GTI Stage 2 + OZ ST LMs

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    FK510 aren't bad. Quite an old tyre. A mate with an HSV Clubsport has run them for years and was always happy. He recently switched to PS4 and conceded they were noticeably better.

It's not so much the "chinese tyre" thing but making the leap into the unknown on a good car that has upgraded brakes. You can have the best brakes in the world but if the tyres aren't great then all that will happen is the ABS will cut in all the time.

The Corolla hire car I had in NZ recently had Sportiva Performance. They were quite good and very confidence inspiring in the wet. I'm not sure if they are available here.
    The FK510's were only released in 2018, i think you might be thinking of perhaps the FK452's which have been around for a while. I was tossing up between the FK510's, and Hankook Evo 2's.

Funnily enough that review you posted is the worst rating i found on the FK510's. Many of those tyres are not available in Aust either. The FK510's won the Wheels 2018 tyre test, came 5th in the Motor tyre test, and was highly recommend by Tyre Reviews UK.

Go to 5.38 YouTube

2018 Wheels Tyre Test: Winner

MOTOR Tyre Test 2018: Results

Falken Azenis FK510 - Tyre Reviews
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 17-05-2019 at 02:58 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag

Yeah, a lot can go wrong with the tyre, it can fail in so many ways that sticking with the proven known brands should be no brainer.

Here’s the comparison on Golf GTI. Similar one was on Au version of “Which Car” just few weeks back, though I couldn’t find it on YouTube in reasonable time.

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast