Thread: Castor on a MK4

Users Country Flag

Castor on a MK4

I had an alignment done yesterday as I had replaced the left ball joint and driving at 100+ felt odd on a left turn.

The shop said the castor variance is out of spec and they could do nothing about it, go get aftermarket kit etc.
    Toe on rear is out also, but cannot be fixed either. Rear toe is not much concern their chart said rear toe spec is +3.4mm with a 1.4mm tolerance either side. And the actual is +4.88mm so exactly on the limit but not out.

For front castor I see that actual is 7deg42min left and 5deg25min right. So left to right it out by over 2 degrees, tolerance is 0 degrees.

What can be done, do I need to worry at all, what will the symptoms be ?
    Can this be adjusted by moving the ball joint ? It has a fair bit of adjustment on the 3 bolts to the control arm.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Pics of the alignment sheet

Btw Car is 50mm lower than stock on shock spring combo
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

without spending:
    max the ball joint out. if that doesnt help you could move the subframe a little
    strut top bushes look ok? spindle, strut or control arm could be bent?
    otherwise with some $$:
    ball joint extenders, r32 control arms, camber tops, adjustable control arm bush.

tyres have any noticeable wear?

rear I wouldnt stress unless one side was massively different to the other. just keep dragging those rear wheels along behind you.

Users Country Flag
    There is a small amount of adjustment in the rear beam. You'll need to loosen off the mounts, and shift it accordinginly.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

I had an alignment place tell me the Castor on my MK4 GTI was out and it could not be corrected (I was just getting an alignment after some work done that required the sub-frame to be dropped). I called Pete at the VW Centre (he did the mechanical work) and he told me to take it to another alignment place that had a clue about Euro cars. I took it to where he suggested and they corrected it by loosening the sub-frame and moving it until there was identical castor on Left and Right sides. Maybe yours is just as simple as that too but because it's not a Ford or Holden or involve a tie-rod adjustable toe alignment the place doesn't have a clue?
    Last edited by No457 Snowy; 05-08-2015 at 02:51 PM.