Thread: Bridgestone and Yokohama 4 for 3 deal....what to get ?

Bridgestone and Yokohama 4 for 3 deal....what to get ?

Bridgestone RE003's and Yokohama Advans, ( various models) currently have the 4 for 3 deal on until 31.10.2020.

I am tossing up between the RE003's and the Yokohama Fleva V701.

My priorities are ride comfort, noise and performance...in that order.

I would be interested in members opinions on either. PS they are not for my GTI but to replace ageing staggered run flats on my 1 series BMW coupe. thanks

Users Country Flag

Sorry if this reply is too late - hopefully it's not.

Can't speak to RE003's, but I have had previous iterations of Bridgestone RE's on previous cars. To be honest, unless the RE003's are a SERIOUSLY MASSIVE improvement over previous RE's (as in, not an evolution but rather, a completely new, massively upgraded design/tech) they're an acceptable tyre given the 4-for-3 pricing.

Currently running Yoko GT AE51's on my Polo (in a narrower size than stock - I bought them so that fitting chains on a 35m drop wouldn't be such a hassle on the road side, during the snow season that we didn't end up having this year) - decided on these shortly after I bought the car in May, in order to get rid of the horrible, horrible Hankook Ventus tyres that were on the car.

The GT AE51's are a step down from the Flevas (51's are a touring tyre), but if the Fleva has any of the same tech built into it (dual compound, orange oil tech etc), I'd recommend - in fact, the Fleva is going to be my next tyre.

Take this with a grain of salt - like I said, my tyre is lower on the spectrum than the Flevas, but my experience so far:
    - that orange oil/double compound combo grips and grips, and at the limit, you will hear slight squealing whilst still gripping valiantly, VERY gradual and progressive slippage
    - wet road driving - can still push hard, the tyre is THAT confidence inspiring in the wet
    - got caught 1 day up at Falls, with about 5-10cm of snow on the roads, after spending a while talking to resort management. CBF putting my chains on, figured I'd see how this compound is, in the snow. Yep, she grips - and yanking the wheel suddenly (wanted to know what the tyres were capable of) in the snow, saw impressive, quick turn in - no sliding dead straight like the RE's I've had, in the past.
    - SO much fun in the twisties, at "safe" speeds -- I live near the mountain pass that connects Mt Beauty to Bright, in NE VIC. I haven't upgraded my brakes since buying the car (needs discs, Remsas, lines, fluid), which means that my brakes are usually cooked by the time I've reached the top of the pass - so I have to idle/coast downhill, in order not to overcook things. These Yokos are SO much fun e.g. hitting a recommended 30km/h at 40km/h, yanking the steering wheel on turn in, then immediately counter-steering the tail swing out (I've got my sways F+R set on hard, still not as much oversteer as a RS Clio).

So, not necessarily apples for apples, but yeah... my first experience with Yokohama has earned them a fan, whereas I've always thought of Bridgestone RE's as only worthwhile buying if you get that 4-for-3 deal.

Hope this gives you some insight!
    Last edited by FckBullerScott; 31-10-2020 at 09:48 AM.